Diglot
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 2
30 March 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi, everyone! I've been looking at this website and forum for awhile but only joined today. I hope I can learn a lot!

Anyways, in the fall, I will be transferring schools and changing my major to anthropology/French. I've dabbled a bit in French and have taken four years of high school Spanish. I also learn languages fairly quickly. I would really like to study hard and possibly test out of French I and II so I can get into the French major sequence more quickly. Is this possible? How much French is covered in the first two semesters? What do you think is the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you!

1 person has voted this message useful

dlb
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5721 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek, Italian

Message 2 of 2
30 March 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
If you want to TEST out of French I and II, find out what the test is like. For most American universities it is probably grammar based, meaning you need to know grammar not necesarily speak good French. Is there a listening section? Take a look at the first year books that the school is using and the course cirriculum if you can get access. If you know what the test is like, you can teach yourself to the test. Not necesarily the best way to learn a language, but the best way to pass a test.

Generally speaking, university language courses cover twice the grammar that high school course cover, i.e. two years high school would equal one year university.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version