Joined 6851 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 21
02 April 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Amiro wrote:
[...]Should I put a German sentence in the question part and then English in the answer part, or the other way around?

You will want to have both skills, although not necessarily having to translate into your target language (but rather knowing instinctively what feels right).

Some advocate native->target, others target->native. I do both, but instead of making double "decks" right away, I start with target->native in order to see the words/sentences/patterns and focus on understanding first. After having gone through all of the new cards, and maybe review them a coupl of times, I add the native->target deck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aricarrot
Diglot
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish

Message 11 of 21
04 April 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm really sorry, this is a silly question... what is an SRS? I tried looking it up but it doesn't seem to make sense.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6388 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 12 of 21
04 April 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
SRS means spaced repetition system. Wikipedia has an article on it. Anki is an example of an SRS application.

AntoniusBlock
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5865 days ago

31 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 21
04 April 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Amiro wrote:
[...]Should I put a German sentence in the question part and then English in the answer part, or the other way around?

Depends on what overall learning strategy you are using. If you are using the massive input strategy (like they do in AllJapaneseAllTheTime), then drilling Native->Target is a waste of practice time that slows down your progress for no good reason. In order to decode massive input better, you only need better Target->Native knowledge.

On the other hand, if one prefers the traditional learning route with ample grammar drills, translation exercises and so on, then drilling both Native->Target and Target->Native makes perfect sense, as far as I can tell.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5923 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 14 of 21
05 April 2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Amiro wrote:
Hi there!

I am studying German and I've heard of the SRS system that you can apply to language learning. My question is what language to put in the question part of the SRS program. Should I put a German sentence in the question part and then English in the answer part, or the other way around? I've read over at http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com that he suggest to put the target language in the question box. Any help?

The way I see it, by the time you can really take advantage of a SRS program, you should have forget about your native tongue completely. So go for German --> German. Don't put there anything you reckon you'll end up removing, because this is meant to be a LONG-TERM memorisation tool. Will you still be doing stupid translating exercises in five years time? Don't waste your time creating the native version of your target content. Once you have reached an intermediate level, spend all your time on your target language and use real content. It is in this scenario that SRS can be really handy. You can get some ideas from the Antimoon site which to my knowledge was the first site that used this approach.

Edited by Javi on 05 April 2009 at 10:46am

Ortho
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6292 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 

Message 15 of 21
05 April 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
This is not just a question for you, but for anyone.

How can you make cards that meaningfully test yourself on production using only the target language?

Pimsleur fails at this imo. Further into the course, it will ask you (in target language) a question that says "Tell me you want a hamburger" and the answer is (in target language) "I want a hamburger", which is pretty useless as you're spared the task of having to produce anything at all after it's just told you what the answer was, you've just rearranged some words and possibly changed a conjugation, but you haven't had to produce "want" or "hamburger", you've just repeated. In this case, I feel that the benefits of the pretend immersion are totally outweighed by having just been given the answer.

At least (assume I am learning french), if I put in English "I want a hamburger" on the front of the card, I have to think up the French. I don't see how to put the question in the target language without it containing the answer.

I suppose you can say something like (in target language) "What do you say when you are trying to acquire a sandwich containing bread rolls and beef, garnished with various toppings?" and then answer (in target language) "I want a hamburger", but this seems to hugely multiply the time spent thinking up target-language questions.

I personally think the "avoid native language at all costs" thing can become counter-productive in spots like this, but just because I haven't found a better way to do it.

Antimoon's example cards don't seem to have questions that go in this direction. I agree that for definitions of words, idioms, etc. all target language is best, but how to test production using srs is a difficulty for me and the best solution seems to be to use English on one side, not for translation purposes, but just as an easy way to present the question to be asked.

Edited by Ortho on 05 April 2009 at 9:35pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6845 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 16 of 21
05 April 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
You could use pictures with some objects or, if need be, situations. Very time-consuming if you have to prepare them by yourself, though.

It's easier (and it makes more sense to me) to start using L2 > L2 questions when you already know some basic vocabulary. A monolingual dictionary (especially one targeted at non-native speakers) would be very helpful while preparing questions.

But I rarely make L2 > L2 cards by myself anyway.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version