Taxman
Tetraglot
Argentina
Joined 5648 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 1 of 2
11 April 2009 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! Well, I was looking for some advice on language self-studying and I'm sure I came into the right place.

First of all I want to tell you something about my languague experience. I'm 23 years old and I'm from Argentina. My native language is Spanish but I'm fluently in English. I also have basic fluency in Portuguese and French.

I'd like to know how can I start to learn more languages. My goal is to be a polyglot and speak more and more languages, but I know it takes a long time. I'd like to have some advice from people that started learning languages on their own. The thing is that I've never studied on my own and sometimes I'm scared about starting and not knowing what to do.

My basic questions are:
Are there any languages that are better to learn for a person in my situation? I mean, I'd like to try some Scandinavian language, like Danish or Swedish, or maybe something like Dutch or Czech, but I don't know if they're the right choices.

How many time should I spend during my week? Because sometimes I don't know if it's possible to learn a language properly if you're a busy person.

The other question could be: Are there enough resources to learn a language when you can't afford buying books and that kind of things? It's not a matter of money, but here in Argentina we're kinda isolated from the rest of the world and it's all expensive for us.

Well, I'd like to know what advice you should give me for starting language self-study!

Thanks a lot
1 person has voted this message useful

mom6mum20
United States
Joined 5648 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Spanish, Latin

Message 2 of 2
11 April 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Okay, try this again.
I picked languages which interest me and/or which I think would be useful.
I would recommend www.interenetpolyglot.com (I'm not totally sure that's the name, but if not let me know). Also, I have found for me a little of any part of a language studied until I know it is better than biting off more than you can chew.
Good Luck
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version