Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6506 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 1 of 6
12 April 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick question. How do you guys deal with a lack of interesting materials in your target language? I am looking to start Arabic soon but all the materials I've found are either religious, incredibly boring ('The Economy of Lebanon in the 1900s'), or unavailable. Perhaps I'm spoiled because German had a lot of 'modern' stuff like novels, DVDs and such, so it was interesting to read and study. I am almost seriously considering tackling another language first. Even Mandarin has a TON of new printed materials, comics, and dramas on DVD that make learning it tempting (despite the crazy difficulty level).

I eventually want to learn Mandarin, so starting on that wouldn't be so bad but I wanted to try another language first before I took on something that incredibly hard. Any opinions guys?
1 person has voted this message useful

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5707 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 6
12 April 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm having similar problems with Romanian- for which I'm sure there must be interesting materials available, they just don't seem to be available outside of Romania or online. As to how I plan to deal with it, well- I'm going to wade through the boring beginner level stuff I have and then I will have to either go to Romania to browse the bookshops, or make friends with a Romanian in the UK who can pick up some stuff on my behalf when they visit home. It's very frustrating after being so spoilt for choice with French materials.

Another problem is that it's difficult to hunt down interesting material in the language if you're a beginner- for example, if you find something on the internet, how can you tell if it's interesting/useful or not if you can't yet understand a word? I looked at the website of a Romanian book publishing company that apparently ship overseas but as I'm a beginner I didn't know enough to know what I was potentially buying or even to navigate the website (it must be even harder in arabic!)

Are you able to enlist the help of a native speaker to find you something?

Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6506 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 3 of 6
13 April 2009 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I wish. I don't know anyone who comes from the Middle East or anyone in it. I don't think the level of the material is incredibly relevant (you can still read a novel if you're a beginner as long as it's not overly-technical or super-advanced) but I hear you on the issue of not knowing what you're even buying! So frustrating :)

Maybe you could use picking up some materials as an excuse to stop by Romania? You can go for a week and bring back two suitcases of stuff. That's what I did when I was leaving Austria and it worked out pretty well!

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5707 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 4 of 6
13 April 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Maybe there is an Arabic speaker on this forum who could recommend some sources...

Anyone out there??

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 6
13 April 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Neither I nor Reineke are Arabic speakers, and I've never dealt with the company in question, but I'll pass on what he said in another thread on the 11th.

reineke wrote:

ALMAKTABAH.COM 93,297 Books in Arabic from 180 Publishers They were around since ‘97. DHL delivers to Colombia.

I hope that helps.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6140 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 6 of 6
14 April 2009 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Have you spent a lot of time online, googling? In about 5 minutes I found tons of stuff. Just google Arabic children's stories or Arab music. Tons of music sites, online games and reading practice and cartoons designed for Arabic-speaking kids. Here's an example:
http://www.yemenlinks.com/Arabic_Resources.htm

You can use something like that to lead to dozens of sites online, not to study in any structured way, but just to use the language, look at it, sometimes even listen to it. You can probably find radio stations, etc.

itoot.net is a clearinghouse for blogs about the Arab world, most in English but many in Arabic, about a variety of topics, cultural, personal, political, history, arts, etc. With the internet you'll never run out of resources.

Also, there are so many online learning sites, classes, free and fee-based. My daughter is learning Arabic and there's just loads and loads of free content online. Even sites geared to kids can be fun, some of the games are fun practice; I use lots of silly kids' sites for exposure to Korean and the same type of thing is available in Arabic or any other language if you poke around and follow links.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version