Triglot
Australia
Joined 5936 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, Greek, French

Message 1 of 5
17 April 2009 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
I have been using an excellent electronic dictionary for French, German and Latin, and I desperately want one for Modern Greek. I have found a few available, and most are amazingly expensive. Does anyone use one which they can recommend? All the ones I can find seem to say words and phrases out loud, which I do not need, I just want the dictionary function.
After spending years lugging around and flicking back and forth and back and forth through Latin and Ancient Greek dictionaries during my study years, I was so glad to discover electronic dictionaries when I started learning German and French. I can not recommend them highly enough!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kyrie
United States
clandestein.deviantaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5671 days ago

207 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
17 April 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/greek.php

Here's one that's free. They come in many languages, and I'm assuming this one's Modern Greek.

Turbo
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5662 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, French, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, German, Japanese

Message 3 of 5
17 April 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Disquina,

So which electronic dictionary have you been using for French and German? I won't mind getting one if it's as good as you say.

Disquina
Triglot
Australia
Joined 5936 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, Greek, French

Message 4 of 5
18 April 2009 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Kyrie,
Thanks for the link, but I mean a handheld gadget which contains a dictionary.

Turbo,
I've been using the Ultralingua dictionary programme on my Palm PDA (http://www.ultralingua.com/), which was convenient because I already had the PDA. It might be an expensive option if you only want the PDA for the dictionaries, but I also use the flashcard programme ANKI on it (http://www.anki.com/) which I find fantastic, and much easier than carrying around hundreds of bits of cardboard. I also use the PDA for other non-language related stuff, such as my bibliographic database for my research.
I found Ultralingua to be the least messy dictionary programme, but having praised it so highly, I should say that I use the dictionaries almost exclusively for reading. I'm not sure if this makes any difference or not.
Disquina

Edited by Disquina on 18 April 2009 at 7:52am

Turbo
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5662 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, French, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, German, Japanese

Message 5 of 5
18 April 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Disquina,

Thanks for the info on Ultralingua. I used to own a Palm but not anymore. I learn from Ultralingua's website that their dictionaries are available on the iPhone platform as well. That's good because I am thinking of getting an iPhone soon.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version