Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6691 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 1 of 1
18 April 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Firstly, does anyone know of any good sites on Japanese grammar which explain the nuances between からには, 以上(は), 上(は). To what degrees are the various interchangeable?

Secondly, I have been wanting to study thoroughly those "split verbs" for quite some time. By this I mean those in which you can emphasize the negative verb by infixing は into the masu-stem or the te-form. For example 捨ててはしない or 絞りはしない. So far I believe that the particular nuance of this negative form is best translated as "No we WONT throw away!". Is this so.

Also the "don't even" meaning with も infixed. However, these two grammar points don't seem to be included in any level of the JLPT grammar and so are not in any of my materials. If you know of any good explanations online, could you show me please. I basically know how they work, but I want to learn about them more. I think I have only really ever encountered them in rather formal texts, the most memorable one being a religious propaganda leaflet given to me. I have also been told that these are not common in ordinary speach.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version