Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6691 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 1 of 3
19 April 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Although I believe that on the whole Japanese is a logical language, I get the feeling that conditionals of Japanese are more difficult than the European languages which I have experienced. There seems to be more variation when expressing if/when.

Before I go to Japan again, I would like to focus on the subtleties between all the different types of conditional/temporal expressions. I want to get these perfect because this is the aspect of Japanese grammar which I find to be the most difficult. I have no trouble expressing the ideas of if and when in Japanese. However, I want to eliminate any grammatical errors because I want to sound more natural, make myself clearer to the person with whom I am speaking and I want to understand the grammar as deeply and exhaustively as possible. Also I know that Japanese people don't really correct mistakes because they think it may be rude. So basically I have to work out any errors by myself.

Does anyone know of any websites, resources, books, et cetera which focus on the subtleties of conditionals/temporal expressions in Japanese? Please note subtleties, not basics. Resources with a base in Japanese or English. Any will do.

Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

Kuronue
Groupie
United States
Joined 5941 days ago

45 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 3
20 April 2009 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Conditionals are usually a conjugation of the verb involved. Probably, if, when, and unless are all verb conjugations, where as time is typically the function of the adverb. So, that should at least give you the direction to look. Likewise, it's worth noting that not everything we consider a verb is one to them. Like and dislike, for example, are adjectives. Other verbs are made from nouns with the same meaning, but in addition to the verb する.

That said, for a grammar primer, you could try this:
Tim's Takamatsu

There are a couple of places that are similar, but none so easy to understand and comprehensive. Note that he does make a couple of errors, but a dictionary on the subject should fix that right up.

Good luck! 頑張って!

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5725 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 3 of 3
20 April 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Yasuko's Nihongo House's 日本語レッスン provides a few articles (5/2003, 6/2003, 2-7/2007) discussing the differences in the four conditions (Japanese).

Nihongo Resource's An Introduction to Japanese Syntax, Grammar, and Language discusses conditions starting from verb bases and through to endings/inflections (English PDF).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version