Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
20 April 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
What are some of the best textbooks (with audio) for learning Russian? I have looked at Colloquial and Teach
yourself, but I would like something more in depth that would take me through the beginner stage -- and
hopefully intermediate -- stage. I don't like the way the books I mentioned above are set up for complete
beginners and they only take you through the very basics of the language.

It would also help if the content were interesting, Preferably not travel dialogs and the like. I can settle with them,
but I would like something more interesting.

Thanks for the help!
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6388 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 3
20 April 2009 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
If you can find a copy of Assimil's Russian without Toil, it's quite good; you can download the audio for it online. Princeton's free Russian course is also excellent, and is entirely free; you can download it here. You'll want to get a workbook for practicing, however, because the Princeton course has exercises, but no answers are provided. Schaum's Outline of Russian Grammar is a cheap workbook which is quite good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5841 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 3 of 3
20 April 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Nina Potapova's Learning Russian in 4 Vols. is absolutely excellent, particularly for grammar, but vocabulary proceeds at a very swift pace.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version