hakysak123
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6189 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French, English*, Armenian*

Message 1 of 3
21 April 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
A few years ago I started to learn French, and I got to a conversational level. I decided to go study in France for six months, where my French got very good (a very high degree of conversation ability, a few notches below fluent).

I left France two years ago and basically stopped practicing and/or speaking the language. I forgot a lot of what I had when it comes to speaking, though I retained most of my written and oral comprehension. My speaking is where I lost the most. My question is, is it possible to return to where I was, and how do I do that?
1 person has voted this message useful

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6268 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 3
21 April 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
If you don't use it, you lose it. How you do that? By speaking.

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5707 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 3 of 3
22 April 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I had a 13 year break from French, and I got myself back up to the same level after only a few weeks intensive study. I still have problems with speaking, but then my speaking skills were quite weak before the break anyway.

My advice would be to go over a few books for revision, listen to some French radio or watch French TV, then just take the plunge and find yourself a native speaker to practise with regularly.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version