FXcuisine.com
Joined 7309 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 15
08 February 2006 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I just received my results for the Cambridge CPE (Proficiency) test I took in December. I passed and they gave me the top grade, A!

Jradetzky had told us last year how he passed successively 3 different tests for his English and I thought this was a persistent guy and that he had set high standards for himself. It encouraged me to see if I could take such a test myself.

For a long time I sort of assumed language tests were not really meant for the self-study language learner. On the contrary. They are a great complement. You get the best of both worlds. On the one side you get to study how you want and at your own pace, and on the other side you get to test your skills against an objective standard. And you can add it to your CV if you are looking for a job (I'm not but for many people that would be a primary consideration).

That was my English milestone - thank you.

1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 7025 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 15
08 February 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations!
2 persons have voted this message useful

aquarius
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6834 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Bengali, English*

Message 3 of 15
08 February 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
That is absolutely amazing! Well done!

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6827 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 15
08 February 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
I just received my results for the Cambridge CPE (Proficiency) test I took in December. I passed and they gave me the top grade, A!

Congratulations !

Eidolio
Bilingual Octoglot
Belgium
Joined 6794 days ago

159 posts - 164 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, French, English, Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian, Greek

Message 5 of 15
05 March 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
FX, I read somewhere you downloaded a sample test to practice. Where did you find this test, and was it as difficult as the real exam?
thnx!

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7309 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
05 March 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Eidolio wrote:
FX, I read somewhere you downloaded a sample test to practice. Where did you find this test, and was it as difficult as the real exam?
thnx!

You can find them on the Cambridge University website. They are the real exams save for the sound part. Quite useful!

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 7050 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 15
05 March 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

Jradetzky had told us last year how he passed successively 3 different tests for his English and I thought this was a persistent guy and that he had set high standards for himself. It encouraged me to see if I could take such a test myself.

For a long time I sort of assumed language tests were not really meant for the self-study language learner. On the contrary. They are a great complement. You get the best of both worlds. On the one side you get to study how you want and at your own pace, and on the other side you get to test your skills against an objective standard. And you can add it to your CV if you are looking for a job (I'm not but for many people that would be a primary consideration).

That was my English milestone - thank you.

When I first found how-to-learn-any-language.com, I thought you were an American. I think you can pass any english test and finish in the top tier.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7251 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 15
05 March 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
My congratulations, Francois! I believe these exams are truly quite difficult to ace unless you are at a very proficient level. I am thinking of writing such tests (not for English) later on when I reach proficiency. This has really encouraged me to try it out myself!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version