Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Greek

Message 1 of 9
21 February 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
I have always loved learning languages; at school I studied Spanish (to A-level), French (to GCSE) and Russian (to GCSE), (10 years later, although my Spanish and French are still usable, Russian has fallen by the wayside since I haven't travelled there), I have also dabbled with Portuguese, Czech and Catalan on my travels, and formally learned basic Welsh whilst living in Wales.

However, I have never acheived true fluency in a second language. Now I would like to. Spanish is my obvious target as it is my most advanced second language.

My Overall Goal
To acheive advanced fluency in Spanish

How I Hope To Acheive This
One step at a time! Initially I am going to commit to daily Spanish exposure and practice:
* Listening to Spanish radio instead of English in the mornings and evenings
* Reading Spanish novels instead of English - I have already picked 2 from the current A-level exam syllabus. I will note down new vocabulary as I go along.
* Reading Spanish news and articles online during free moments, again noting down new vocabulary as I go.
* Daily grammar practice using a workbook to revise this aspect, and discuss any difficult grammar points on online Spanish forums
* I will also look for opportunities to use spoken Spanish - occasionally I have Spanish-speaking clients at work and I will be braver in communicating with them in their own language. I am also looking for Spanish-language meet ups in my city.

After one month, I plan to review my progress and my feelings on the subject, and consider whether I want to formally work towards the DELE C2 exam. I know I work well towards a specific goal motivating me like this.

So here I go!!

Edited by purplepixie on 21 February 2011 at 9:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 2 of 9
21 February 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Pre-week 1:

Before formally making this decision, over the last 3 days I have:
*Read 44 pages of 'Un viejo que leia novelas de amor'. I haven't noted down every new word I have come across, only those that got in the way of my understanding of the text, and am happy reading through understanding the vast majority of what I read. It is only a short novela so I plan to read it through once, then go back and review vocab sentence-by-sentence

*Read about 10-15 articles on BBC Mundo

*Completed 20 exercises on nouns, definite and indefinite articles

*Written 2 posts in Spanish on elforoespanol, asking about grammar and vocab points.

*Written my Spanish language profile in Spanish!

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 3 of 9
22 February 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Week 1 days 1 + 2

*I have read another 40 pages of 'un viejo'. I'm now about 2/3 of the way through and understanding the story, if not every single individual word, although in context I am mostly understanding them.

*Reviewed preterite and imperfect tenses, and also future and conditional, including translating passages from my grammar book

*Chatted on fb chat in Spanish a little with a friend.

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 4 of 9
24 February 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Week 1 day 3

Very busy day at work, so only had time to read another chapter of un viejo on the bust to work, and do a few verb exercises at lunchtime. After work brain burnt out so pub and then home to bed!

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5296 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 5 of 9
24 February 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
¡La mejor de las suertes con tus estudios! Si tenés preguntas, no dudes en hacerlas.

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 6 of 9
24 February 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Gracias!! Estoy divertiendome!!

Week 1 day 4
* 30 mins of verb exercise at lunchtime
* Read an article on BBC Mundo about Libya, making flashcards of any words I had to look up (only 8!) :-)

Looking forward to several hours on trains at the weekend when I can really devote some time. I also arranged today in about 10 days I can pick up a cd player, so then I will be able to listen to some Spanish on cd, at the moment I'm limited to spoken Spanish I can find online.

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 7 of 9
25 February 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Week 1 day 5
* read another 20 pages or so of el viejo....only 25 more pages to go and I'm quite engaged with the story!

* 20 mins of verb exercise during lunch break, which was cut short :-(!

Prepared for the weekend by selecting 4 articles from BBC Mundo and printing them out to read & work on on the trains to/from my short trip this weekend, along with my grammar book.

purplepixie
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4850 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes

Message 8 of 9
28 February 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Week 1 day 6 + 7

* Read 4 articles from BBC Mundo (1-1.5 pages each) - printed out, read through and underline any words I can't immediately identify, look them up and write them out, then read again. Felt real acheivement doing this. I understood the story from each article first time round, and just had to understand the particular nuances with the extra words I didn't know - of which 90% I had understood the general meaning of the sentence just not the exact word.

* Completed 4 chapters from my verb book

Unfortunately forgot to take el viejo away with me so still have that to go!!

This weekend I also spent some time looking at online post-beginners French courses, and think I might work my way through 'Ma France' on the BBC website. I found the preview chapter pretty easy to work through, but it should refresh and maintain my French. And, I looked up online Greek courses, which is something I want to learn to a basic level before a trip there in 6 months.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version