Korea, South
Joined 6261 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 276
04 January 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Since I've gotten sick of procrastinating and making lists of words that I don't bother to read through again, I thought I'll create a journal to keep track of new words and expressions I learn in German. Although I've been studying it for more than 6 years (5 years of school German upto GCSE, 1 year of "trying" to self-study), my German is still nowhere near the level I want it to be, and at times, quite appalling.

MY AIMS
- Reading German newspaper articles without having to use a dictionary
- Grasping the main message of "normal" German radio, not ones modified for learners (at the moment, I can only comprehend around 40-50% of the material)
- to be able to contribute to the German Thread without having to use a dictionary to check gender/plural forms.

Deadline
5th January 2010

Resources
- 4 books (Von Mäusen und Menschen, Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen, Momo, Der kleine Prinz... I know except Momo, they are all translations, but they'll be good enough for me at the moment)
- Deutsche Welle web site and Podcasts
- Slow German Podcast from Annik Rubens
- German Thread on this web site
(No native speakers or tutors at the moment...)

Methods
1. Read the books, one by one. I've read Momo, Harry Potter and Der kleine Prinz ONCE each. But as I've discovered while learning English, I only learn more of the language if I read books at least twice or thrice, noting down interesting expressions. At the moment, I'm doing my second reading of Harry Potter, 9th Chapter

2. Listen to at least three podcasts per week. Currently, my old computer is broken, and I'm using my brother's. He'll kill me if I download any podcasts onto his computer, so I'll have to wait until my old one is fixed.

3. Create German diary posts in this language log, so that I have some active practice of using the language.

4. Write down all the words and expressions I learn from my reading

5. After Harry Potter, start incorporating a German newspaper article into my daily routine.

I've also started making small changes to incorporate German into my life. E.g. I changed my language on facebook to German.

PS - I think I should get a German-German dictionary instead of English-German ones. If anybody has a good suggestion, that would be much appreciated

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

EDIT = 5th January 2010

"Now it's 5th of January again. Please do bear in mind that I'm writing this update at 12 midnight.

Today is the deadline of the first leg of my German studies.

- Reading German newspaper articles without having to use a dictionary
- Grasping the main message of "normal" German radio, not ones modified for learners (at the moment, I can only comprehend around 40-50% of the material)
- to be able to contribute to the German Thread without having to use a dictionary to check gender/plural forms.

I think I can do the first one, but only in Kultur and Wirtschaft sections of the newpapers. I can listen to German news and radios and get the gist of what is being said, although still far from perfect. Contributions to the German thread... Hmmm.. I think that thread died a natuarl death.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with where I am with German now. :D "

----------------------------------------------------

EDIT = 9th January
AIMS FOR 2010

• Pass TestDaf or Goethe Zertifikat C1
  • Keep reading German books
  • Join a German club in Korea/ make a German friend in Korea

Edited by Jiwon on 08 January 2010 at 7:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6261 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 276
04 January 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
4th January, I've learned these new words:

fortsetzen - to continue
der Ast - branch, bough
die Eiche - oak
rühren - to move, to stir
peitschen - to whip
höhnisch - scornful
nachlässig - careless
anmutig - charming
anspruchsvoll -fussy
verhalten - to respond
die Eigenschaft - personality
der Eindruck - impression
schreiten - to stride
der Schatten - shadow
das Entsetzen - horror, dismay

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5804 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 3 of 276
04 January 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I was surprised to see your log here! Good luck!

As for a dictionaries, you should look up StarDict, a program which I use for Korean (KR-EN, KR-KR, and Hanja). You can download any number of foreign language dictionaries into it for instant lookup. It's really been a god-send for me.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6261 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 276
04 January 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Why was it so surprising to see my log? Did I give away too much of 선생님-type aura? Haha..
Thanks for letting me know about StarDict. I just looked it up and it seems really nice. Will download it as soon as my computer is fixed.

Now I'm reading the Harry Potter passage that I've read today AGAIN, so that the vocabulary I learned stays in my head.

Diary Entry
Montag, den 5. Januar, 01:30

Heute bin ich endlich achtzehn Jahre alt. Ich hab um 0:00 mit meiner Familie den Kuchen gegessen. Mir fuehlt es ein bisschen spannend, traurig und merkwuerdig. Das ist mein letzter Geburtstag hier in Sri Lanka. Wo werde ich am naechsten Geburtstag sein?

Am Abend werde ich mit meinen Freunden in einem chinesischen Restaurant essen. In Sri Lanka hat man am liebstens chinesische Gerichte. Aber man findet hier kein wirkliches chinesisches Gericht. Das ist ein bisschen verwandelt, und man nennt es "das srilankanisches-chinesisches Gericht". Zum Beispiel, haben wir ein koestliches Gericht, das "Hot Butter Cuttlefish" heisst. Das kann man nirgendwo ausser Sri Lanka finden. Schmeckt es gut? Natuerlich! Tatsaechlich gibt es eine Facebook-gruppe fuer dieses belebtes Essen.

Nun muss ich ins Bett gehen, um ein bisschen Schlaf zu bekommen, bevor ich am 10.30 in die Schule gehen. Meine Ferien dauert bis den 7., aber ich muss anscheinlich an einer "Teacher Observation" teilnehmen.

If any German speakers could correct my mistakes, that'd be amazing. Thanks in advance.. :)

Edited by Jiwon on 04 January 2009 at 2:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5672 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 276
04 January 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:

Heute bin ich endlich achtzehn Jahre alt. Ich hab um 0:00 mit meiner Familie den Kuchen gegessen. Mir fuehlt es ein bisschen spannend, traurig und merkwuerdig. Das ist mein letzter Geburtstag hier in Sri Lanka. Wo werde ich am naechsten Geburtstag sein?

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Jiwon! Ist man da in Sri Lanka auch volljährig mit 18 Jahren so wie in Deutschland?

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland...

Fasulye-Babylonia
1 person has voted this message useful

Sapphire
Germany
Joined 5682 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 276
04 January 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:

Diary Entry
Montag, den 5. Januar, 01:30

In this case I would say Es ist spannend, traurig und merkwürdig. You can't feel spannend or merkwürdig, because these arent feelings, but atmosphere. You can use Es fühlt sich merkwürdig an, though.
You could omit the den in Ich hab... den Kuchen gegessen, because using the article it sounds like you are talking about a special cake, about THAT cake.

Jiwon wrote:

Am Abend werde ich mit meinen Freunden in einem chinesischen Restaurant essen. In Sri Lanka hat man am liebsten chinesische Gerichte. Aber man findet hier kein wirkliches chinesisches Gericht. Das ist ein bisschen verwandelt, und man nennt es "das srilankanisches-chinesisches Gericht". Zum Beispiel, haben wir ein koestliches Gericht, das "Hot Butter Cuttlefish" heisst. Das kann man nirgendwo ausser inSri Lanka finden. Schmeckt es gut? Natuerlich! Tatsaechlich gibt es eine Facebook-Gruppe fuer dieses beliebte Essen.

Nun muss ich ins Bett gehen, um ein bisschen Schlaf zu bekommen, bevor ich am 10.30 in die Schule gehe. Meine Ferien dauern bis zum 7., aber ich muss wahrscheinlich an einer "Teacher Observation" teilnehmen.

I corrected some minor mistakes (bold), and I'm not sure what you mean by Das ist ein bisschen verwandelt..., if you want to say that it is altered, then abgewandelt would be better. (Belebt means animated or alive, so I changed that to beliebt famous)
Your German is pretty good imo, herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag und Guten Appetit! =D

[EDIT] If you mean printed G-G dictionaries: DUDEN is the one most Germans use, search for "Deutsches Universalwörterbuch", they also have one for the spelling. Some prefer the WAHRIG (Deutsches Wörterbuch), they have a similar range.

Edited by Sapphire on 04 January 2009 at 5:05pm

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6261 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 276
05 January 2009 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Danke, Fasulye und Sapphire! :)

Thanks a lot Sapphire for correcting my text, and for complimenting my German. But as you can see, I make way too many mistakes. I also have problems with the subjunctive, but I hope to get it sorted soon.

Now I'm going to read more of Harry Potter (maybe 5 to 10 pages), write down new words, and come back to the log to record my progress.

@ Fasulye: ja, in Sri Lanka ist man volljährig mit 18 Jahren. Aber ich bin ein Koreaner, und deshalb bin ich volljährig wenn ich 19 werde. :( Ich kann allerdings hier wie ein Erwachsene mich benehmen.. (does that make much sense?)

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6364 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 276
05 January 2009 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Hey nice
You're always very helpful and encouraging with us Korean learners, I only wish I knew German so I could reciprocate! Good luck, looks like you're coming along fine!

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version