Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 105 of 344
22 April 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the beyond the basics course is great. I loved it. The dialogues not as "interesting" as Assimil, but there are many things that are much better. The inter-linear translations are awesome. I wish Assimil did it like that. Also, I'm not aware that there is a beginner book in that series. There is an Ultimate Beginner course by Living Language which is somewhat similiar, but more comprehensive lessons. I know the Beyond the Basics used to be called Living Language Advanced... so maybe in the old versions there is a Beginner course.

1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 106 of 344
22 April 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
James, it was called "Living Spanish".

I found one like it thru ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-THE-LIVING-LANGUAGE-COURSE-SPAN ISH-40-Lessons-on-Cassette-Never-Used-/331067763481?_trksid= p2054897.l5659

Edited by BOLIO on 22 April 2014 at 10:52pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 107 of 344
22 April 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Cool. That's different than anything I've ever seen from Living Language. I bet that is an older version. It looks pretty good. The ultimate and beyond the basics series are good too.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3867 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 108 of 344
23 April 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Wow, Bolio! you have found some interesting materials! I got inspired by you, and today when I saw a used bookstore, I
stopped by. I found an old Berlitz Self-Teacher French book... not useful right now, but maybe I'll be able to use it in
the next couple of years. Also, they had three little, tiny books that are graded French readers Book 1 "Sept-d'un-Coup"
Book 3 "Les Chandeliers de l'Eveque" and Book 4 "L'Attaque du Moulin." I did find one Spanish book that I suppose will be
over my head for a bit. Jorge Luis Borges "Ficciones."

While I was on my trip, someone gave me a Spanish School book from 1950s. I didn't really need another textbook! But it
looked so interesting with so much cultural information (it would be quite old now, but there is a lot of history in it)
and then some small sections of all Spanish reading. So I will carry it around with me and see if I have time to look at
it some. They even have suggestions of books to read for further information about some cultural or historical topic.

You seem to be coming along very well! I am so impressed that you signed up for the Super Challenge. I feel so far behind
right now because when I tried to watch a Spanish show on Hulu, I gave up when I didn't understand anything! What are you
going to watch? I never watch tv or movies in English, so I am a bit skeptical about it. I could try to do books on tape,
which I might enjoy more... I'll have to think about it. What are you listening to for the challenge?

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 109 of 344
23 April 2014 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Nancy, i also don't watch many movies, i plan to listen to audiobooks instead as that's something i do anyway. I'm glad that counts, as i don't think the reading portion (for me, anyway) will give me any trouble, just the movies. I love reading :)

Bolio: I'm glad you found a new course you enjoy. I agree it can be nice to have the interlinear texts for now, but as you advance you might find it a bit annoying when you just want to read pure Spanish without the temptation of checking the English to see if you've understood it perfectly. I don't believe i've ever used the Living Language courses, it might be worth looking into based on your and James' recomendations! They don't seem that expensive, either.
3 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3867 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 110 of 344
23 April 2014 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I do not want to get distracted from Assimil and FSI before I finish them. I have a goal to finish both by August... we'll see! So if I
do, I would only be three months behind everyone, so I might be able to still do a full challenge in Spanish at that point. I am going
to wait until August to register for the SC and see if I am ready by that point to be able to move quickly enough with native materials
to catch up.

I looked at OverDrive, which is an online library that our public library system is affiliated with and found some interesting Spanish
Audio books, so it has got me thinking of some things I'd like to listen to once I am ready.   

But I wish everyone else good luck when the SC officially begins!
2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 111 of 344
23 April 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Nancy, I have no idea what I will watch. If nothing else I can watch the movies I have and just set the DVD for Spanish. I did buy 5 Vicente Fernandez movies the other day. 5 for $10. My wife just rolled her eyes when I brought them home. I told her that I would be singing and crying for her love after watching his movies.

As far as the Challenge and understanding the movies...well, it just requires me to watch the entire movie and not understand all of the movie. I read about strategies like L-R and extensive reading that help people go from zero to understanding. I don't know if I buy in to the claims. But I do not see how watching or reading massive amounts of Spanish over the next year and a half(in addition to Assimil, Living Language and FSI) will hurt my learning. I did some reading yesterday from a magazine online and I could tell that my vocabulary is increasing. I am starting to recognize the tenses and understand. I still cannot produce them in conversation even when I talk to myself during the course of the day (which I think actually helps me because even if I do not know all the words, it forces me to guess or make note of what I need to learn in order to fill in the gaps).

Crush, I agree with you concerning the interlinear text when I become advanced. However, at this stage, especially for Scriptorium exercises (that Nancy has me hooked on) it is a better way IMHO.

Life got in the way yesterday and I only had one hour between Assimil and reading. I had zero Scriptorium and today I will be at it for sure. If I can do two Assimil lessons a day in Scriptorium, I will finish in 5 weeks. In 6 weeks I will be back in Mexico FAR, FAR away from any resort in the state of Chiapas!

So, 6 weeks is like an abbreviated "Boot Camp". I am going to hit it hard and try to take in as much info and do as much work as possible. I think I should be speaking more. Even if it is pleasantries and greetings. I get tongue tied and I sound like a three year old. "Mi Nombre es BOLIO. Mucho Gusto. ¿De dónde eres? Soy de Tejas..."

As my friend from Mexico says, "BOLIO, it just takes Practice, Practice and more Practice."

73 done/377 to go.

Edited by BOLIO on 23 April 2014 at 4:26pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 112 of 344
23 April 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Bolio, you are doing well. keep up the good work. You are following a multi-track approach whether you know it or not. You can't help but do that by living with a Spanish-speaker :). It is important to maintain a balance in those tracks. Formal study is every bit as important at the beginning stages as your informal study. Keep it up consitently and persistently. Speak as often as you can, even imperfectly. Especially imperfectly! Corrections are very useful, just try not to let your imperfection discourage you. The more you do it the better you'll be.

I would also recommend that you take some time, maybe one day a week, to do some exercises at the Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca. I posted instructions about how to best view the lessons on James29's log here. At this stage, I think they could be very useful for you and the monolingual Spanish will help to keep you focused and thinking in the language.

Your progress bar is advancing! You are now 20% closer to your goal!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version