Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 193 of 344
11 July 2014 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
No problem... I really like it. It has the added benefit that you don't really know what you are about to read. So far (I am on the fifth story) the stories are all extremely different from each other, but every single one has been quite interesting. Having the English right there is great because it let's me quickly check a word that I would typically just skip over. My only complaint is that the notes are in the back of the book and not at the bottom of the page. It is kind of a pain and is confusing to go back and forth from the story to the notes in the back... I am now just skipping the notes. By the way, there is a second book by Penguin in this series.

Also, I picked up Spanish Stories edited by Angel Flores. The Penguin one looks better so I am reading it first.

I have heard a lot of good things about the "Stories from _____" series and look forward to reading the Puerto Rico one.

I am really seeing the benefit of reading books with parallel text. If anyone has "real" novels in this format it would be good to know where they can be obtained. Due to copyright issues it seems as though it is difficult to buy novels with the original text and a translation.

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 4089 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 194 of 344
12 July 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I've been following your log for a while, but I have a very short memory, so I'm not sure what you've done in the
past! But maybe you need to read a few more "intermediate" resources before jumping into adult literature.

How do you feel about children's books? I know they're not for everyone, but I like them in any language - so
understand that this recommendation is coming from someone who actually enjoys reading kids' books.

The first two books that I read in Spanish were translations of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Tale of
Despereaux. I had copies of both books in English, so I could check out passages or pages that I didn't
understand. Reading those two books gave me a huge leg-up in comprehension.

Another great resource is Veinte Mundos. It's a digital magazine with high-quality text and audio that updates
every few weeks. The articles are written in simple language about a variety of topics in the Spanish-speaking
world and are accompanied by full audio (the article being read aloud by a Spanish-speaker). There are
mouseover translations of difficult words. The photographs and layout are very well-done, and there are links to
related videos.

Veinte Mundos

Edited by Stelle on 12 July 2014 at 3:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 195 of 344
14 July 2014 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Stelle, thank you very much for the ideas for reading. I am not against reading children's books. I am clearly not ready for any heavy lifting as far as reading goes. I had bought La Sombra del Viento many months ago for the future and thought I would see how far I had come since buying it. I have travelled some distance in my Spanish studies but not far enough for that book. Thanks again.

I am working on Unit 11 in FSI and will have it done by Wednesday morning. If I can complete two a week, while also doing my side activities, I will be happy.

My side activities include Democracy Now and the much slower and recognizable version of the news NHK World. Also, I listen to Learn in Your Car #2 and #3 while driving and walking. I try to steal a few moments with Living Language Beyond the Basics (Truth be told, I ENJOY it much more than Assimil- I know that is almost sacrilegious on HTLAL). And of course, I speak whenever, wherever and to whomever I can.

I really love the group of people I have around me who help me learn Spanish. Many are here on this site but I am also fortunate to have close friends and family who speak this beautiful language and help me every chance they get. I promise that as I progress and learn, I will one day pay it forward to someone else.

165 hours done/285 to go ( If I can study 13 hrs per week unitl the end of the year, I will reach my goal)

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 196 of 344
14 July 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Two units of FSI per week was about all I could to also.

On Living Language... I know what you are saying. There are some definite advantages... accent, audio quality, interlinear text, better exercises, etc. Also, you may really like the LL Ultimate Advanced course. It is similar to Beyond the Basics, but more advanced and much more substance. I only did Beyond the Basics, but I have listened to all the audio of the Ultimate course and have examined the book enough to be able to tell you that you will really enjoy it if you like Beyond the Basics.

Regarding "books for kids", I really liked the Theodore Boone series by John Grisham. It is noticeably easier than things like Harry Potter/Narnia, etc and the story is not childish at all. They read like very basic and short Grisham books.

Edited by James29 on 14 July 2014 at 6:17pm

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 197 of 344
15 July 2014 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
A quick note. I have a new hangout. It is a Subway franchise of all places. It is a place that makes sandwiches and salads. I kept going to all the mexican places to try and talk to the staff but I kept getting fatter. Anyway, I found this place and 100% of the employees speak Spanish. I have been going 3 times a week for for the last three weeks and this morning I walked in and they said, "Hey it's BOLIO" real loud. I feel like Norm from the old TV series "Cheers". I love living here. I can walk 45 seconds out my door and find someone to try to speak Spanish with.

Anglos in my area don't understand something...it is about a higher level of service. I do not care if it is a bar, food place, dry cleaners, doctor's office or whatever, the level of service that I receive is higher than the level of service received by other patrons because I try. Spanish speaking people are amazed that "whitey" will take the time to learn their language when so many have the attitude, "This is 'Merrica. You ought to speak English only!" I hate that mentality.

I am having fun today because I found out this morning that tomorrow I am having a root canal done....YAY! My painkillers are kicking in.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 198 of 344
17 July 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I just found out DELE has a testing center in my hometown. I wonder, after finishing FSI, Living Language Beyond the Basics and reading a bit of native materials, would I be able to pass a B1 exam? The good news is it only cost $121 US to find out. I love having a concrete goal to work towards.

FSI 11 is easier than 10 and I will wrap it up today. My root canal was not fun yesterday. I listened to my Learn In Your Car series during the whole procedure. So at least something good came out of it.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 199 of 344
18 July 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I think FSI alone would be enough to get you past the B1 exam, with all the practice you're getting outside of your textbooks i'd say it won't be any problem for you :)

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 200 of 344
18 July 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Crush, We shall see. I have never been excited about an exam in my life. Would the certificate help me financially, professionally or physically...no. But I want it just the same.   :)

I had some time yesterday and knocked out Unit 12. I learned a couple things and I hope to have some time to spend on 13 this weekend. One thing I learned was that it is better for me to actually print out the Unit. I don't print all the Unit but just the dialogue, the translation drills and the notes.

I was not taking full advantage of the notes. I will not make that mistake again. I review all notes and read over the dialogue and translation drills twice before turning on the audio. Even though when I first listen to the audio, I do not have the text in front of me, the pre-study makes the audio completely comprehensible from the first listening. I like this process better than listening a time or two before reading along with the audio.

Have a great weekend everyone!

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version