Germany
Joined 5657 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 5
12 June 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

i've managed to pass the TestDaF. my teacher was amazed to know about the result since i began studying German only in October last year (that's like 7 months when i took the test in April). i pretty much surprised myself with the result too. my result was as follows:
LV (reading): TDN 4
HV (listening):TDN 4
SA (writing): TDN 5
MA (speaking): TDN 5

anyways, as usual..... work's never finished. i'll b beginning with my studies at RWTH Aachen this September n my specialization's gonna be M.Sc. Production Technology. So if anyone could tell me what books to refer to in order to increase my vocab in the field of Mechanical engg. and manufacturing, it would be great. I just don't wanna b sitting in the class absolutely dumbstruck staring outside the window (i did plenty of that during the time i did my bachelors, n i at least intend not to do that during my masters :) ) any help would be most welcome

Edited by lerner on 12 June 2009 at 4:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
12 June 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
lerner wrote:
Hi everyone,

i've managed to pass the TestDaF. my teacher was amazed to know about the result since i began studying German only in October last year (that's like 7 months when i took the test in April). i pretty much surprised myself with the result too. my result was as follows:
LV (reading): TDN 4
HV (listening):TDN 4
SA (writing): TDN 5
MA (speaking): TDN 5

anyways, as usual..... work's never finished. i'll b beginning with my studies at RWTH Aachen this September n my specialization's gonna be M.Sc. Production Technology. So if anyone could tell me what books to refer to in order to increase my vocab in the field of Mechanical engg. and manufacturing, it would be great. I just don't wanna b sitting in the class absolutely dumbstruck staring outside the window (i did plenty of that during the time i did my bachelors, n i at least intend not to do that during my masters :) ) any help would be most welcome

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, lerner!

To achieve a B1-level of German after only some months of language study is really excellent. And German is not an easy language. RWTH Aachen has an excellent reputation for engineering among the universities in Germany. To study there is said to be diffcult (there are many drop outs) but those who succeed have very good job perspectives. Krefeld, the city where I live, is not so far away from Aachen. And when you study there your are directly at the border of Belgium and the Netherlands.

Fasulye

lerner
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5657 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 5
13 June 2009 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
thanks a lot Fasulye :)

btw, TestDaF actually spans levels B2.1 to C1.2 of the CEFR. i think you might be referring to the ZDaF which has now been replaced by the ZD (Zertifikat Deutsch).

one more thing, i intend learning French, Italian and Spanish in the future. in which order, according to you, should i tackle these languages. as someone who speaks all the three, i believe your advice would be extremely helpful.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 5
13 June 2009 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
lerner wrote:
thanks a lot Fasulye :)

btw, TestDaF actually spans levels B2.1 to C1.2 of the CEFR. i think you might be referring to the ZDaF which has now been replaced by the ZD (Zertifikat Deutsch).

one more thing, i intend learning French, Italian and Spanish in the future. in which order, according to you, should i tackle these languages. as someone who speaks all the three, i believe your advice would be extremely helpful.

Hi lerner,

For a student in Aachen it would make sense to learn French first because Wallonia and Luxemburg are very near-by, that would give you the chance to visit those countries easily. What I know is that RWTH Aachen is a popular uni especially for students from Luxemburg, so you could look for some fellow students to practise French.

Whether you chose as a second Romance language Italian or Spanish will be your personal choice. Qua difficulty there is not so much difference. I wouldn't start with Italian and Spanish simultanously because these two languages can easily be mixed up.

I hope that this gives you a bit of orientation to make a good choice.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 June 2009 at 4:49pm

pralog
Germany
Joined 5063 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: German

Message 5 of 5
06 August 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
HI Lerner,

I would like to know your tipps for passing Testdaf. I know its been a year since u wrote this blog. I would be thankful , if u can write me some suggestions on how to learn by self inorder to attain level-4. Right now i am doing my C1.2 Kurs at VHS.

Thanks

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version