brian91
Ireland
Joined 5282 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
14 July 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
This morning I was listening to an Irish radio station called 2fm. One of the guests on the show I was listening to
moved to France, and was saying how her French improved, and how here children are now fluent with perfect
accents. My German isn't progressing as much as I hoped, so I was wondering how beneficial living abroad is?

Sorry if this topic is repetitive, but every time I ask something here, I get a new perspective. Also when I Google
''how learn language abroad'' it's just people trying to sell me stuff (I'll check out there websites anyway I guess).
Plus I'll try researching ''total immersion'' more.

So has anybody here lived in a country that speaks their target language? How much did it help? Was it difficult
making friends? Were you homesick? Was it difficult finding a job, or did you go as part of a college course?

As part of my third year of university, I will spend that academic year abroad, but I'm not sure whether to choose
German or Mandarin, but that's another thread. :D

Thanks,
Brian, 18

Edited by brian91 on 14 July 2010 at 4:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5302 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 9
14 July 2010 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi Brian,
I've lived in a few countries where languages I've been studying are spoken, for
varying lengths of time and with varying results.

I stayed in Warsaw for a month to do a Polish course with people from all over the
world studying Polish. The default language amongst us all was English and I stayed in
a dormitory and shared a room with a Japanese guy, so my Polish didn't improve all that
much.

I lived in Vienna for 9 months as part of my university course and was a completely
stereotypical ex-pat, only making friends with other English-speakers and getting drunk
every weekend. My German did improve quite a lot simply because I was there for so
long, but not nearly as much as it could have.

I lived in Russia for two three-month periods during which I became very close friends
with a group of Russians. As a result, my Russian improved massively.

I have lived in Japan for 14 years now and am at a point where I speak much more
Japanese than English. My partner is also Japanese. Accordingly, my Japanese is
better than any other language I have ever studied.

Common to all these experiences is that I had a fantastic time! Living abroad is so
exciting, stimulating, and eye-opening. It's an experience I would recommend to
anybody. I do get homesick occasionally, but only for superficial things like good TV
and mashed potato! I see my family once a year, and I keep in touch with friends in
the UK through Facebook. I get a little sad when I see photos of all my old mates
together, but I have my own friends here and I'm happy with the choices I've made.

I would advise you to do your degree, get a TEFL certificate, and then go wherever
takes your fancy and get a job teaching English for a year or two. There's plenty of
time to get on the career ladder.
6 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5282 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 3 of 9
14 July 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, TixhiiDon! That was a very helpful post. I want to do my TEFL before I get my driver's license, which is very
odd for my age. :D My mom wouldn't let me do it though, but I should be able to do it when I'm living in the city
for college. Mashed potato is hard to beat, but I thought the television in Japan is way better than the UK? At least
from what I saw on Tarrant TV. I guess I would only miss Top Gear. :D

astein
Pentaglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

80 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, French, Mandarin
Studies: Russian, Dutch

Message 4 of 9
14 July 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm living in Germany right now and spent four months in China last year, and I can really agree with what TixhiiDon has said. You really need to make it a point to surround yourself with the language. It has to be natural, however. When I was in China, they made us sign a language pledge, promising to only speak Chinese, even outside of class. We were mostly Americans, though, and it really felt too forced. Also, since I was with other foreigners, it was hard to know whether I was really surrounding myself with correct Chinese or not. I feel like I began to absorb some of their errors, not having a good enough ear at that point to correct everything.

Living in Germany has been completely different. I live in a dormitory with German students in München. None of them speak English with me, and they don't even speak Standard German. Rather, I have been forced to learn to understand Bavarian, and that has done wonders for my German. I work here, as well, so I have also been able to get the corporate, formal side to add to my German. I have spoken (literally) zero English since I have arrived, aside from a couple jokes and grammatical explanations to people learning English. I wouldn't have believed how much I would improve, given that I have, as of yet, only been in the country for two months, especially considering that I was already pretty good when I arrived.

I'm not sure if the post cleared anything up, but to sum up my thoughts: live the language, with people who have spoken it their entire lives. I don't know whether I have learned more German from reading and practicing or from going out onto Leopoldstraße after a big World Cup victory. There is learning a language, and there is becoming a part of the language. That's the whole point, isn't it?

Edited by astein on 14 July 2010 at 4:23pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5282 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 5 of 9
14 July 2010 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, astein. Another really good post. I would love to live in Munich. The White Rose really got me interested in
the city when I was younger. I also listen to Bayern 5 Aktuell often. How different is the dialect in Bayern?

astein
Pentaglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

80 posts - 134 votes 

Message 6 of 9
14 July 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
As an understatement...rather. If you were to take the difference between Dutch and
German, and then halve it, you would be pretty close. It is different enough that I could
understand almost nothing that they were saying when I arrived. Luckily, it comes pretty
quickly. Also, everyone can speak and understand normal German, so it´s really not even
an issue unless you live with people who speak it.

If you want to see what Bairisch is like, there is a comedian who performs in Bairisch.
His name is Günter Grünwald, and his accent is pretty clear and relatively easy to
understand, at least when compared to some of the accents that come out "aus dem
Bayrischen Wald".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy-h28V4tjY

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5282 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 7 of 9
14 July 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I didn't know they were that different. We never learned about dialects in school. :/ Are there other dialects in
Germany? Are there any areas in German that just speak Hochdeutsch? Maybe in the north of the country?

astein
Pentaglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

80 posts - 134 votes 

Message 8 of 9
15 July 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
It really depends on where you are, and what sort of people you are speaking with. There are many dialects in Germany, but most of them in the north are much closer to Hochdeutsch. A lot of these people won't even learn the local dialect when they are younger, especially if they live in a city. There seems to be a lot more emphasis in Berlin and some other places to limit the use of the dialect and adapt to speaking Standard German (maybe a cultural thing?).

In the south, it is a variety of factors. Most dialects in Bayern and Österreich are mutually intelligible, and they sound very similar. There seems to be a fairly heavy influence from smaller villages and rural areas, as those who live in the cities tend to speak more Hochdeutsch. It is also a bit of an issue of pride. There is a long history of tension with the norther German states, and linguistic preservation might be a way of fighting against total cultural absorbtion, and perhaps even a method for recognizing the "Preißn", who have wandered a little too far south.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version