Groupie
United States
Joined 6087 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Welsh, French

Message 1 of 32
20 July 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I've read in several places in many different topics the frustration of those who end
up speaking English with those Europeans they come in contact with. I had the same
experience when I went to Germany on vacation in 2007.

But I figured out a trick that I used when I went to Cologne three weeks ago for a
quick vacation. Very simply, I feigned ignorance of English. And when I had difficulty
due to encountering words I didn't know, I only stated that I was a foreigner, not an
American. The German speakers would then try to explain in more simple terms. Worked
every time!

So for 6 days, I got to speak German to a large variety of people in a variety of
situations without the usual reversion to English.

LG,
Sunny

9 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin
Germany
Joined 5082 days ago

155 posts - 210 votes 

Message 2 of 32
20 July 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I imagine it's difficult for an English native speaker to practise another language in Europe. I live in a very touristic city and have to admit that I tend to switch to English immediately when a tourist starts to ask a question in German - unless someone obviously speaks the language fluently.

On the other hand, I got almost angry when I was constantly addressed in English in Portugal and sometimes just snapped "não entendo" ("I don't understand") to make people talk to me in Portuguese.
1 person has voted this message useful

sunny
Groupie
United States
Joined 6087 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 

Message 3 of 32
20 July 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
May I ask how you make the assessment that one is fluent and another is not fluent?

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5106 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 4 of 32
20 July 2010 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been to Germany. I'm not sure how smart they are about picking out Americans.
Do they just assume every white person they meet who speaks broken German also speaks
English? They can probably detect the American accent as well. When I learn German,
maybe I'll incorporate a Spanish accent, and try to pass for Chilean or Argentine with
poor English skills.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5677 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 32
21 July 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
The American accent in almost any language is quite distinct.
What are you going to say when your new friends ask you where you are from...(assuming they haven't already worked that out..)

Your best approach at getting "real Germans" (lol) to speak German with you.... is to learn to speak it adequately . Most people would not automatically switch language as long as you can hold up the conversation without obviously struggling.

Most people assume that you want to speak with them because of what they have to say, not that you are trying to use them as a walking talking language lab...! If they switch language it is out of desire to try to improve the communication.

9 persons have voted this message useful

Kary
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5988 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 6 of 32
21 July 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
The only people from whom I hide my native language are those to whom I do not want to talk. ;-)

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6278 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 7 of 32
21 July 2010 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
It's nothing to do with being American, Germans seem exceptionally prone to switching to English with any native English speaker, particularly if they hear English being spoken. Persistence is probably the best solution, even if responded to in English, I continue to speak in German, even if I have a few errors.

I've found the French to be the opposite though, so I don't think it's fair to apply that to all Europeans. Most French are dying to speak French, particularly if not in France, and I've found it rare to find some who want to speak in English with me.

sunny
Groupie
United States
Joined 6087 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 

Message 8 of 32
21 July 2010 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
When I go on vacation to a place several thousand miles away, I do not seek lasting
friendships with every single person I speak to. As a lone woman traveling, I do choose
to stay incognito to everyone I speak to, if I possibly can. My own practice was if I
had language troubles, I stated that I was sorry but I was a foreigner and didn't know
as many words. Train conductors, wait staff, hoteliers, and sales people would then
either speak slowly for me or rephrase into simpler terms. I made the effort so that
they could stay in their own language and not have to accommodate me beyond that. Is
there something wrong with these concepts?

Also, those who insist that an American accent is easy to pick out are assuming that a
person who just doesn't have a large vocabulary automatically speaks broken German with
an American accent. I don't. At the onset of my studies in German, a little over 4
years ago, I spent the most time working solely on proper pronunciation. I have been
told repeatedly by native Germans that my pronunciation is flawless, if slightly slow.
I blended in quite well judging from the reactions I received.

I am intrigued by the idea of it being a necessity to tell everyone I speak to that I
am an American and that I am practicing on them. They did not do that to me when they
would switch to English with me on my vacation in 2007.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version