United States
halfstepdown88.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
04 November 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I am currently applying to study abroad in Indonesia next summer. It would be completely paid for by the
government, so I am going to make sure I pass the application process!

They look for
• Academic record and potential to succeed in a rigorous academic setting;
• Ability to adapt to a different cultural environment;
• Diversity;
• Plan for continuation of study of the language; and
• Plan to use the language in future career.

I have the top two easily, but the last two is what I need to work on.

One of the essays asks what is your purpose of studying.

I was wondering, if anyone here knew anything about this. I am a Psychology major and would love to do social
work, but unsure of what would demonstrate that Indonesian is critical for my academic goals.

I have also considered minoring in Entrepreneurship as well.

Any ideas on how a Psychology major would benefit from Indonesia?
1 person has voted this message useful

kosongbebas
Diglot
Indonesia
Joined 5357 days ago

8 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*, English

Message 2 of 3
09 November 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
• Plan for continuation of study of the language
I think this is back to you. Only you can answer. Why do you want to study Indonesian?

• Plan to use the language in future career.
In Indonesia, psychology major often work in company as HR but you need to compete with law student. There is also opportunity to work as psychologist.
Since lately, there are lot of natural disasters here in Indonesia (earthquake, volcano, tsunami, etc). Lot of people have trauma.
About working, since you are foreigner, company often prefer you (it is a prestige for small company) and often pay more for foreigner (but if you count it in dolar, it is very low) of course for those you need to speak Indonesian. But successful foreigner often Australian entrepreneur, who sell Indonesian product (natural resource or handcrafting product) to their home country. Since they know the market better than Indonesian and some of them learn Indonesian in school or trough marriage.

Off-topic: In other thread, I have just read it. Malang is the center for study of bible in Indonesia, and also there is one of the big pesantren (Muslim school). But, as in every city, you can always find pub/bar. But if you want a world class one, you should visit Bali. If you are just about hang out not about drink, just go to mall where there are cafes or visit local warung where you can meet your neighbor. It is coffee not alcoholic beverage which act as common social drink.

Edited by kosongbebas on 09 November 2010 at 7:21am

halfstepdown88
United States
halfstepdown88.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
09 November 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your reply!

I will consider the recent natural disasters in my response.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version