Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6151 days ago

126 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 25
29 September 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, actually for Japanese, there is a whole "adventure" game industry, you can learn a lot from these games. I say "adventure" games but, on the whole they are mainly dating sims and such, most of them have some adult content, so you might not want to play them if you're squeamish about such things. search for Eroge orエロゲー some titles have been adapted into anime and the adult content cut off.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6309 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 25
30 September 2007 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
If you're looking for a game to practice foreign languages, you could try http://www.cantr.net . It's a mass-multiplayer online role-playing game, but unlike most such games because "role-playing" is understood in the original sense. That is, the game only provides the mechanics and players from all around the world are creating the world, including entire civilizations with history and culture. In-game and out of game are strictly separated. You can create characters in a variety of languages, and the characters must then only speak that language, unless they 'learn' another language from somebody they met in-game - this is a great motivation to always practice your foreign language, you can't fall back into your native one. I really like to play first-encounter situations, when language groups meet that didn't know much about each other before.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6436 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 25
30 September 2007 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, Sprachprofi! I was looking for something like that some time ago:)

patoso
Groupie
United States
Joined 6111 days ago

53 posts - 40 votes

Message 12 of 25
30 September 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Is their a video game made just for the sake of learning another language?

Is their something like morrowind but in a different language for the PS3 or computer? I would perfer something in a more of today theme then the middle ages.

Edited by patuco on 30 September 2007 at 12:03pm

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6159 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 13 of 25
30 September 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
The Cantr game was challenging even in English,but maybe I just didn't have enough patience with it.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6389 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 25
30 September 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
quendidil wrote:
most of them have some adult content, so you might not want to play them if you're squeamish about such things.

I wish they'd develop some nice language learning games for the pc that contain adult content. They don't need to be triple x, but a step in that direction would certainly help my memory. Am I the only one on the board that thinks this is long overdue?

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6159 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 15 of 25
30 September 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't think adult content would help too much lol.
The time you spend looking for SUPPOSED video games that could teach you a language and asking nonsensical questions on this forum could be used more wisely to actually find REAL materials (books, textbooks,CD's) that most normal persons use and learn a language already!

leosmith
United States
Joined 6389 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 16 of 25
01 October 2007 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
audiolang wrote:
I don't think adult content would help too much lol.
The time you spend looking for SUPPOSED video games that could teach you a language and asking nonsensical questions on this forum could be used more wisely to actually find REAL materials (books, textbooks,CD's) that most normal persons use and learn a language already!

So you've never used adult thoughts in learning a language? Sorry if this is another nonsensical question (I probably could have learned several languages in the time it took me to write this...dang it!)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version