linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 25 of 33
28 March 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I bought a book a while back which was in a DRM (copyrighted) format, epub. I wanted to change it to PDF or something open but it was IMPOSSIBLE to do it. It was encrypted in such a way that none of the ripping software worked. After a few hours working on it I gave up in disgust and decided not to read that particular book. The reason I wanted to rip it was so I could change the layout to suit parallel reading (for a parallel text in Russian.)

PDF is no more better than ePub in that respect. Both have a basic open specification, but both allow optional DRM.

PDF was designed as a format for sending documents to printing companies. It encodes a lot of layout data precisely and specifically, including the size of paper to use and often the full data for drawing the font. It is difficult and slow to process, and makes very large files.

ePub was designed as a format for e-readers. It makes no assumptions about screen size or available fonts, and it encodes just enough information that any reader software can display it clearly and allows the user to choose how to view it (font type, font size etc) without screwing up the display.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rebrafi
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 5263 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, Esperanto, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 26 of 33
29 April 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
I would like to have one, but they (stiil) aren't so popular in Brazil, so prices are very high.
1 person has voted this message useful

rafal
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
besmart.pl
Joined 6788 days ago

83 posts - 85 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 27 of 33
29 April 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

I bought a book a while back which was in a DRM (copyrighted) format, epub. I wanted to change it to PDF or something open but it was IMPOSSIBLE to do it. It was encrypted in such a way that none of the ripping software worked. After a few hours working on it I gave up in disgust and decided not to read that particular book. The reason I wanted to rip it was so I could change the layout to suit parallel reading (for a parallel text in Russian.)

You can unDRM EPUBs and PDFs for some time now. See MobileRead forums for some help. (Removing the DRM may or may not be legal in your country.)

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6276 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 28 of 33
08 May 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I recently bought an iPad here in Hong Kong and so far I think it gives me a far better
value than a normal ebook reader with E-ink. Most e-book readers only have 4GB so you
have to be careful when you have a large quantity of material. I do not have to worry
with my 64GB: even though I have a lot of applications, books and audio on my device I
still have 30GB left. Having colors, being able to underline/bookmark/annotate and
being
able to read PDF in addition to ePub is also a great advantage. Since I can listen to
audio while listening, it makes it even more efficient. I use an app that lets me save
vocabulary while surfing the web or reading books and the app can convert that
vocabulary
into flashcards. In my mind all of these features more than justify the extra $300 the
device costs.

As for the battery life: mine lasts around 12 hours of continuous use. Since I charge
it every night, I never ran out of batteries.

Edited by Asiafeverr on 08 May 2010 at 1:40pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5603 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 29 of 33
08 May 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Asiafeverr wrote:
I recently bought an iPad here in Hong Kong and so far I think it gives me a far better
value than a normal ebook reader with E-ink.

I have to agree with you that the iPad is a fantastic device. For consumers of media content (movies, audio, websites, etc) it is a breakthrough.

Your comparison with eInk, though, is a bit of a different matter. Because the iPad has a back-lit display it causes (at least for me) two problems:

- It strains my eyes after a while, whereas with paper books and eInk devices I can read for hours.

- It doesn't work very well outside, since the sun makes the display hard to read. eInk works outside just as well as real paper.

Edited by Splog on 08 May 2010 at 6:03pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6212 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 30 of 33
31 October 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Bump.

I'd like to buy an ebook-reader exclusively for my parallel texts (Excel tables, pdfs).

I'm looking for a relatively cheap device with excellent battery life and e-Ink.

Kindle is sympathetic but I'm not sure whether it can handle parallel texts without
scrolling horizontally or the aforementioned formats without much fuss.

Should I buy one with 6", 9.7" or should I neglect Kindle totally and look for other
options?

Any suggetions are welcome,

Thanks.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5781 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 33
04 November 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I don't have an e-reader yet but I wanted to ask whether it is possible to enlarge the font size displayed on the screen because I don't feel so comfortable with reading tiny letters.

Fasulye

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5196 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 32 of 33
04 November 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I don't have an e-reader yet but I wanted to ask whether it is possible to enlarge the font size displayed on the screen because I don't feel so comfortable with reading tiny letters. Fasulye

Yes, it is quite easy to increase the font size. It is also possible to read in "landscape" as well as "portrait" mode. E-ink technology is very good at what it does. Where it falls down is when people want a dedicated e-reader to do things for which it is not designed. That's when you need to have a tablet.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version