Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 39
10 May 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
There is something to be said for revising grammar points by encountering them several
times from different angles, but for GermanPod101 I still create the lessons within
each series in a linear manner. Those who want to have a charted path to follow will
have that, and those who want to cherry-pick interesting lessons can still do so.

Quote:
JapanesePod 101 started out with a beginners' course, then the intermediate
course, then they went back and released newbies' and absolute beginners' courses, and
after all this they needed to go and add a 5th (6th?) "season" of upper intermediate to
"bridge the gap" between the beginner's course that's been running for years and the
first "season" of the upper intermediate course.

There's a mindboggling number of different courses in there, and I can't imagine that
they can tie together nicely.

Indeed. The Pod101 sites have taught everything several times over. You're not supposed
to study each lesson. Seasons can often be used interchangeably, with just a different
topical focus / different target group. For example, for GermanPod101, Intermediate
Series Season 1 is using German songs as a basis, season 2 focuses on what you need to
move to Germany or for an extended stay, season 3 focuses on living & working in
Germany and season 4 (to be released soon) will be aimed at business travelers. The
grammar content is mostly the same, and some of the vocabulary repeats, but the idea is
to offer everyone a context that he can relate to, in order to make learning easier and
more relevant.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 35 of 39
10 May 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
All told, how much money has Chinesepod cost you?

I honestly have no idea. Last time I bought my account I used a "pay for one year, get two" deal, and I'm still paid up until November this year. But that was a long time ago and I don't remember how much I paid. I'm moderately well off, so I didn't care that much.
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 36 of 39
10 May 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
But how planned is planned?

JapanesePod 101 started out with a beginners' course, then the intermediate course, then they went back and released newbies' and absolute beginners' courses, and after all this they needed to go and add a 5th (6th?) "season" of upper intermediate to "bridge the gap" between the beginner's course that's been running for years and the first "season" of the upper intermediate course.

There's a mindboggling number of different courses in there, and I can't imagine that they can tie together nicely.

I'm thinking specifically about CLO (ChineseLearnOnline). CLO has lessons 1 to 420 which are intended to be used sequentially. Those 420 levels are divided into 7 levels so that level 1 has lessons 1 to 60, level 2 has lessons 61 to 120, etc. The last few lessons of each level are the reviews for the level.

Cainntear wrote:
Lessons need to build on previous knowledge, or they'll never stick.

CLO lessons do build on prior ones. That was a large factor in choosing it. I need the repetition and that "step ladder approach". A drawback for some would be that CLO only goes through intermediate.

Edited by Snowflake on 10 May 2011 at 4:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 38 of 39
11 May 2011 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:
They give you a free trial. You can download anything you want for free.

This is true. I downloaded my girlfriend from there.
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version