cwcowellshah
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 10
17 January 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
My Swedish learning materials have examples of native speakers pronouncing the "sj" consonant combination in two different ways: "hwh" and "sh". For example, "sju" is sometimes said as "hwh-oo" and sometimes as the English word "shoe".

Is this a regional difference? Rural/urban? Class? Personal preference?

If it's regional, which regions pronounce it which way?

Are both pronunciations OK?

Tack så mycket!

Edited by cwcowellshah on 17 January 2013 at 10:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6185 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 10
17 January 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to HTLAL!

Both pronunciations are definitely OK. My feeling is that hwh is more common and I would pick that one, sh sounds
a bit posh to me. Probably all those factors you mention come into play but it's not easy to explain how.

//aloysius
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 10
17 January 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it is possible to use an English /sh/ for all the spellings (sj, stj, sk, sch, kj, tj) but it's quite uncommon in Sweden (it sounds either posh or Northern), but what I think you're after is the [ɧ]. I usually explain it as "similar to when you're cooling a cup of hot chocolate" (without necessarily pouting the lips)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
18 January 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Jeff, how does that compare to the Russian щ?

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4504 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 5 of 10
18 January 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Jeff, how does that compare to the Russian щ?

I believe the standard pronunciation for tj, kj and the fricative k (and possibly some letter combinations I missed) is [ɕ], which is the same as for щ, right? My friend who's from Östersund pronounces all /ɧ/ and /ɕ/ as [ʂ] (so ш?). I'm not entirely sure if that's the same as the posh variant aloysius and jeff_lindqvist referred to.

I'd also say that there are at least 2 distinct varieties of the sje-sound, some of them more posh, in my mind, than others. Wikipedia mentions something along these lines, too, but I find the descriptions thoroughly unhelpful.

Edit:
Having read jeff's latest post, I feel I need to do some further fact-checking. Now that I think about it, my friend might actually use [ɕ] for /rs/. What I'm sure of, however, is that he uses the same sound for 'rs' as for most of the letter combinations kj, tj, sk and so forth.

Edited by sans-serif on 21 January 2013 at 4:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

cwcowellshah
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 6 of 10
18 January 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks all--very helpful answers.

Too bad that "hwh" seems to be mildly preferred, since it's the one of the two Swedish sounds (the other being the
odd nasal "ee" pronunciation of the vowel "i") that I find almost impossible to produce. I wonder if that's typical of
native speakers of American English.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 10
18 January 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
If you say /sh/ for sj, stj, sk, sch, kj, and tj, it doesn't sound exactly the same in all positions (but still similarly enough). Most can take either form (I think!), but tj - щ, kj - ш. Not that it matters a lot, it's just how I hear them. Hmm...now that I think of it, it depends on the surrounding consonants and vowels. Swedish IPA has [ɕ] for the /sh/ sound. [ʂ] equals the supradental rs.

English p, t and k lose aspiration in some positions, but everyone still regard them the same sound. A traffic light is red and so is a rose.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4504 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 8 of 10
18 January 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
cwcowellshah wrote:
... (the other being the odd nasal "ee" pronunciation of the vowel "i") that I find almost impossible to produce. I wonder if that's typical of native speakers of American English.

I think it's often perceived as one of the more difficult sounds in Swedish, along with the long u and the long y, and it doesn't help that there's a decent amount of socio-/dialectal variation. I first figured out how to produce the most exaggerated variant, the so called Lidingö i, and then toned it down.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version