kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4781 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 9 of 12
28 January 2013 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I do tend to get many of my sentences from other sources. But there are times when I am watching TV, or other situations where I hear a new and/or interesting word, and I cannot "mine" the sentence. I type the word in at tatoeba.org, and I'm likely to find a sentence there.

The only problem I have is that Tatoeba does not handle verb conjugations. For example, in Portuguese, if I type "saber", I want to get sentences with "saber", "sei", "sabe", "sabemos", etc...
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6059 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 10 of 12
28 January 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Considering all the languages, untangling all the conjugations in the search would be near impossible. For just Finnish this is all quite complex, and maybe a pHd thesis-level project.

I'm not sure really what's going on with the search on tatoeba.org. I was searching for olisi, just because I'm working on my Finnish conditional tense lately, and it gives me sentences that include 'oli' -- which is just ordinary past tense. Quotes make no difference and give the same result.

I'm not quite sure what the rules are for posting translations, but me, if I see untranslated Finnish and I'm reasonable sure what the sentence means, I just go ahead and post an English version.   

One thing, I think some of the Japanese sentences are translated back from English, so they are more designed to help Japanese people learn English than represent natural Japanese.   A lot of these start with "あんたは” I think. If I encounter something weird, I find alc.co.jp is a better site.    

Edited by cathrynm on 28 January 2013 at 6:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marski
Diglot
Macedonia
Joined 4789 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Macedonian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 12
30 January 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I use it all the time for finding example sentences for my Anki deck. It's an awesome
resource.

Edited by Marski on 30 January 2013 at 7:55pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5858 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
31 January 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm another one who didn't about it before. I'll definitely have a look at the site soon.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version