Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How easy/hard is it to practice on Skype?

Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6717 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 9
30 January 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
So in the past two months (I know it's not very long) I have tried quite hard to find
people to practice with on skype. At one point I had someone to talk to almost every
night in Italian, but then the holidays happened and after that half the people had
disappeared.

I've also failed to find a single French person despite contacting easily 20-30 on
different sites. (But I've found some paid tutors and had some good conversations with
them.)

In general, most people on these sites just don't respond when you contact them for an
exchange, *even if* that's exactly what they say they signed up for in their profile
and *even if* they just registered today and they haven't forgotten all about it yet.
Quite a few are probably indecisive and shy, I know I was for a long time.

I would love to hear about your experiences. Have you guys discovered any tricks? How
are you getting on? Do you find it easy to practice on skype or not?
1 person has voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5190 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 9
31 January 2013 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I've had good luck with iTalki, and Chinese. Maybe different languages have different turnouts on language exchenge sites?

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4682 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 3 of 9
31 January 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
In general, most people on these sites just don't respond when you
contact them for an exchange, *even if* that's exactly what they say they signed up for
in their profile and *even if* they just registered today and they haven't forgotten
all about it yet. Quite a few are probably indecisive and shy, I know I was for a long
time.

French is arguably one of the easiest languages to find language exchange partners for.

I don't understand how people who are learning mainstream, popular languages like this
can't find people to practice with.

It's not good to expect people to make sacrifices to practice with you if they're
getting nothing out of it themselves either. This is why the best thing you can do is
pay for a community tutor on italki (I pay
a French woman approx. $5-8 for an hour of conversation practice twice a week).

berabero89
Diglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 4 of 9
31 January 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Sharedtalk is by far the best site I have found for language exchanges. Most people
respond to me in about 1 or 2 days.
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5309 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 9
31 January 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Go to sharedtalk and list your native language as English and go to the text chat room and someone will usually contact you asking to chat within seconds. That is my experience with Spanish and I cannot imagine French is that much different. Even if nobody responds immediately just ask someone to chat. Text chat with the person for a while and if they seem sincerely interested in learning exchange skype addresses or simply go to the audio chat room on sharedtalk.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4458 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 9
31 January 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
sharedtalk is strictly dominated by Asian users. So, English is by far the most demanded
language. For French, you can find North African users but the French from France are
rare there.
Also you can often come across with Russian and Spanish native speakers as these
languages are widely spoken.
IMHO, best "serious" resource to find speaking partners is here =)

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5141 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 9
31 January 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Finding reliable people to exchange French with is near-impossible; I've been trying for years. I'm coming to the same conclusion as you and Mezzofanti: if you want regular practice with French people, you have to pay for it. For Italian I've found that exchanges are far easier to find and I've had some luck with Italki and Conversation Exchange; people do tend to disappear after a few chats, but there's always a supply of new people. That said, I'm often guilty of the same thing myself: sometimes life gets in the way and for weeks at a time I either don't manage to sign into Skype at all or I only get on at quiet times like weekend afternoons.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emiliana
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5048 days ago

81 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 9
31 January 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
did you guys checked out Verbling? I didn't yet but it seems that it might be another good alternative.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version