Diglot
Poland
Joined 4249 days ago

24 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Czech, Latin

Message 1 of 4
25 February 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you're aware of the project but decided to share the link with you anyway.

http://www.chinese4.eu/
1 person has voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4633 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 2 of 4
25 February 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Does it use some kind of speech synthesis? The pronunciation sounds very unnatural.

karpat
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4249 days ago

24 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Czech, Latin

Message 3 of 4
03 March 2013 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Hello! I apologise for answering so late, real life is very busy for me at the moment.

I have no idea whether the sounds were recorded or synthetically produced. We (students) got the link from our College, which had a Chinese learning promotion day. To me, the sounds seem decent, but I am not a Chinese learner nor do I have any contact with the language, so I really can't say if the sounds are unnatural or not.

evol
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 4264 days ago

28 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, German, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
03 March 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a native Mandarin speaker, nor am I really proficient in the spoken language;
my native tongue is Cantonese. But so far no native speaker is here, I think I may
offer some advice.

I can't tell whether it is recorded or synthesized. The pronunciation of each character
(one syllable for one Chinese character) is fine per se, but a sentence, rather than
being spoken in a slow pace, is better described as being broken into fragments of
words.
This means you may use it to learn the sounds of words (a word is a unit of meaning; it
may comprise 1 or more characters), but should not regard it as the way we produce a
sentence.

Hope it helps.

Edited by evol on 03 March 2013 at 3:33pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version