Scoobs
United Kingdom
Joined 5502 days ago

27 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 1 of 10
15 June 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any sites like Easypersian but for Spanish? One that talks you through and introduces grammar and vocabulary bit-by-bit. Or any course books like the New Penguin Russian Course?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5644 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
15 June 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
http://spanish.about.com/

I use the French and Japanese sections of About.com. They have email and RSS feeds. I
just reviewed the top 100 French words there this morning.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5386 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 10
15 June 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I have been learning Spanish from various sources for about 18 months. About six
months ago I came across a site called Synergy Spanish. It completely changed how I
learned Spanish and I learned more in a month than I had done in the previous year.

Have a look at this page

Synergy Spanish

I admit it is an affiliate link and I will earn a commission if you use this link. However that is
not why I recommend this site. If you object to using an affiliate link , you can find the site
through a search engine. You can also check the opinion of others on here or check other
reviews. Personally though I value it highly for the beginner.

Jim
2 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6942 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 10
16 June 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
JimC wrote:
I have been learning Spanish from various sources for about 18 months. About six months ago I came across a site called Synergy Spanish. It completely changed how I learned Spanish and I learned more in a month than I had done in the previous year.

If memory serves, Bill Handley (fanatic) also liked this course. Are there really only 138 words offered :-)

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5386 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 

Message 5 of 10
16 June 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Indeed it is based on only 138 words. The “Synergy” aspect of the course is that you learn particular key words and phrases which when combined can produce a lot of possible combinations. I don’t have the course to hand but I think they claim something like 66,000 sentences can be constructed from the 138 words.

The limited number of words to learn, means that you can learn very quickly and gain the confidence to speak freely and fluently albeit with a limited vocabulary. The patterns and techniques that you learn continue to be a foundation that you can use when you add further vocabulary at a later time.

One part of the course that didn’t appeal is that each word has a mnemonic to it to help you remember it. I found that in most cases I was able to recall the words without using the mnemonic or if not I used mnemonics that I felt were more appropriate for me than those given.      

Jim

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5850 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 10
16 June 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
From the sample materials and the description, Synergy seems to have been modelled on Michel Thomas.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5386 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 

Message 7 of 10
16 June 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
It may be based on the same method, but I think it is much better. I just can't get into Michel
Thomas. I find it so annoying that I have got the right answer, but I have to wait while Michel
corrects the "students" on the audio who have got it wrong!

I also find that Synergy is more logical in the order that it teaches new vocabulary so that you
are able to produce your own sentences from words that you have learned rather than
simply parroting what you have been told. There are also explanatory notes to give some
background to what you are learning.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5850 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 8 of 10
24 June 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Well I personally love Thomas's courses and I put up with that wait as a necessary evil. The course wouldn´t work if it wasn´t the way it was, so I accept that I´m stuck with it.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version