Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6985 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 1 of 8
20 August 2005 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Does anyone out there know where I can get hold of the 3rd book in the Amogst Poles series. I have books 1 and 2 but can't seem to find the 3rd. The title in English is 'Amongst Poles.' All help greatly appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6985 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 

Message 2 of 8
01 September 2005 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Has no-one really heard of this book. What about you chung? or jradetzky? I'm completely stumped on this.

daristani
United States
Joined 6984 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 8
01 September 2005 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
I know nothing about Polish or Polish books, but I know how frustrating it can be to look for a book that isn't available through normal commercial channels, so I googled under the Polish and English titles (the latter evidently "Among Poles" rather than "Amongst Poles"), and don't see any mention of a third volume. A couple of entries refer to it as a two-part series, or refer to "both volumes", so I wonder if it could be that there is no third volume, or perhaps if one was intended, it was never actually published?

My local university library (Indiana University) has an excellent Slavic languages section, and the next time I'm there, I'll check to see if they have a volume three for the book.

daristani
United States
Joined 6984 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 8
01 September 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I just checked the online catalog of the Indiana University library, which has a truly massive quantity of materials for all the Slavic languages, and they list only two volumes of "Among Poles" in the collection.

czech
United States
Joined 7034 days ago

395 posts - 378 votes 
Studies: English*

Message 5 of 8
01 September 2005 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Inside the cover of FSI Thai volume 1 it says the course consists of 3 volumes. Looks to me like that just never happened, only 2 volumes on Audioforum and Multilingual Books.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 8
02 September 2005 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Hi Nephilim

I've heard of these books. I checked through some Polish bookstores and could find the two volumes on the website of a bookstore in the USA.

http://www.polartcenter.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1125664695.1 2435/page=language.htm

The description for Wsrod Polakow indicates that there are only two parts.

Are there other books out there that interest you. I'm quite impressed by Swan's books and I'm thinking of picking up a Polish textbook when I come to Poland next week (perhaps something that is meant for Polish schoolchildren since I'm just after more exercises and drills.)

Regards
Chung

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6985 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 

Message 7 of 8
02 September 2005 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks Chung, Daristani and Czech

I was beginning to suspect that there were only two volume. But - on page 14 of volume 2 there is some mention that in part 3 there will be more focus on the stylistic aspects of Polish - perhaps they never got round to producing it.Weird.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 8
14 September 2005 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Hi Nephilim

I just visited some bookstores in Wroclaw.

The books by Universitas seem to be a decent bet.

I'm quite sure that you've already used "Czesc, jak sie masz?" by Miodunka.

According to my former Polish professor, the books: "Przygoda z gramatyka", "Isc czy jechac?" and "Czas na czasownik" are pretty good for people learning on their own. They include lots of exercises with answer keys. The sequel to "Czesc, jak sie masz?", "Kiedy wrocisz tu..." seems not bad. It has answers for half of the exercises, but you still need a teacher to help you with the other half of the exercises. Perhaps your wife could help you with this?

The only advanced level book I can see in the Universitas series is the book "Co z czym?" which gives exercises in Polish syntax. (Logically, this would mean that you already have a strong grasp of declensions and conjugations)

I haven't seen any other Polish texts for intermediate and advanced students in the 'ksiegarnie jezykowie'. Perhaps you've seen texts other than the Universitas series and the usual suspects (e.g. 'Colloquial Polish', 'We Learn Polish', 'Polish in 4 weeks', etc.)

Regards
Chung

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version