34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6409 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 34
30 March 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I just signed. If anyone wants some Polish texts, submit them, I will be glad to read them for you

Edited by Przemek on 30 March 2010 at 3:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 34
30 March 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
You grant the same rights to HTLAL
Well apart from the explicit "for any purpose" bit, but that's not the full point.

Our posts here aren't really "publication ready", so François wouldn't be able to "cash them in" the same way as Azabua LLC (Who?) could do with any sound recordings. (There's a particularly strong market for simple iPhone language apps, I hear.)

My biggest complaint, though, is that the database remains in their control. I'd have liked to have seen an open community license used so that people could download batches of phrases and produce resources on a share-alike basis, for example a multilanguage vocabulary set for gradint.

The site as it stands is too individual orientated, and doesn't give us the leap forward in access to material it could.

PS: Why has a project like this registered itself as a limited liability company? Isn't that a rather expensive process...?

Edited by Cainntear on 30 March 2010 at 5:43pm

carlonove
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 34
30 March 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Here's the first hit on Google I found regarding the cost of incorporating/forming an LLC in the US:

http://www.form-a-corp.com/state_costs.php

In the most expensive states it's just over $500 to form an LLC, while the average is somewhere between $100-300. Even $500 is a relatively small amount compared to the other expenses of starting a new business.

Although I also generally favor open/community licenses over proprietary/ownership ones, I can't fault the people who are working to make a good product for not abandoning any future prospect of making some money off of it. It's a free and brand new site, after all, so maybe we should wait at least a little while before passing judgment and letting skepticism set in.

--Carlonove

Edited by carlonove on 30 March 2010 at 9:43pm

peterjcarroll
United States
rhinospike.com
Joined 5288 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Ancient Greek

Message 12 of 34
31 March 2010 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for checking out RhinoSpike and for your enthusiasm about using it to exchange foreign language audio! Hopefully I can address some of your questions and concerns here.

All audio uploaded to RhinoSpike.com is stored on our web server and is available for anyone to download. If you have not already signed up you can view the recordings that have already been submitted by visiting http://rhinospike.com/language/

There are currently no limits to the length of text submitted, but you probably don't want to submit text that is too long or else no one will want to record it for you. If you need a lot of text recorded, I recommend breaking into small chunks that can be read in less than a couple of minutes each.

We have recently updated the site to have a "Listen" link next to each audio request, because sik0fewl was not the only one having trouble finding where to listen to the audio. On that page you can also download the audio as an mp3 file by clicking on the title link located just above the black playback widget.

We have planned from the beginning to have all user-generated content available under an open license, but in our rush to get RhinoSpike out the door and in front of people, we used a boilerplate Terms of Service (TOS) page that we planned to update "later."

Today we modified our TOS page (http://rhinospike.com/about/terms/) to include the following:
All user-submitted text and audio content on Rhinospike.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)

This license basically says that you may download, share, remix, distribute or do just about anything you like with the content as long as you credit the original author.

Thanks again for checking out our site! And thanks Hashimi for making a post about us! We appreciate you guys helping spread the word. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Peter

*Edit: I tried to add links to the urls but apparently I'm too new for the forum to let me do that.

Edited by peterjcarroll on 31 March 2010 at 4:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 34
31 March 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Ask and ye shall receive!

--Carlonove

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5494 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 34
01 April 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Looks promising.

What is the situation regarding making audio of copyrighted books?

Edited by schoenewaelder on 01 April 2010 at 5:37pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 34
01 April 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
What is the situation regarding making audio of copyrighted books?

As with any site, the Ts&Cs include a statement saying you can't upload anything that you don't have permission to upload.

IE no copyrighted material.
(Even if the Ts&Cs didn't say it, it would still be illegal.)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6404 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 16 of 34
01 April 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Great project!

Badly needs the ability to comment on a text or send posters a message though, because
I'm loath to record something that contains mistakes, but wouldn't want to submit a
recording that doesn't match the text.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version