Diglot
Joined 7090 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 23
29 October 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
If that's the case, then I'm afraid that it could be limited to the big names since there are rather few native speakers of lower-profile languages on HTLAL who are as active as the ones who are natives of the big names. On the other hand, there must be a fair amount of audio (or even TV shows) in the TL with transcriptions in the same language when the TL is one of the big names. Is there that much extra demand for transcribed audio in big-name languages? I'm not trying to be facetious or a jerk, but I do wonder a bit.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised though if a native speaker of any of my target languages would contribute a recording here (any Saamic language, yes please), even though I can get pretty much what you're thinking about by using audio (e.g. Gulahalan) or videos (e.g. Supisuomea) in the target language that are transcribed/subtitled in the same language.

There's also a fair bit in transcribed video clips here and here.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 5064 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 10 of 23
29 October 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I've got a free website offering native speaker audio (unscripted, natural language, at normal speed) plus
transcripts for Thai: thairecordings.com. There's close to 10 hours of material online, on a variety of subjects. From
what I can see looking at the stats and the feedback I get, there is some demand, but it's limited to a fairly small
set of motivated learners.

It would be great to get a community project going providing something similar for other languages (or even Thai
:)), but I agree with one of the other comments that such an undertaking would be most useful for languages for
which there are few resources available.

I would also like to second a point made by the OP, namely that unscripted spoken language is quite different from
recording a written text. Personally, I'm less interested in audio versions of written language - I'm just fine with the
written text then -, but much more in getting spoken language in either a context rich format or with transcripts.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 23
29 October 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
It's inevitable that there'd be more recordings in "bigger" languages, as it's inevitably harder to find speakers of smaller languages. But there doesn't have to be that many either for the site to be useful. Each would ultimately be responsible for getting native speakers to commit to making a recording, but if everyone does that, then we could end up creating a pretty interesting bank of recordings. Another aspect is that larger languages tend to have more variety, so a person could ultimately find an interesting number of recordings from Melbourne English or Lyon French, for instance.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 23
29 October 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
I would also like to second a point made by the OP, namely that unscripted spoken language is quite different from recording a written text. Personally, I'm less interested in audio versions of written language - I'm just fine with the written text then -, but much more in getting spoken language in either a context rich format or with transcripts.

There are lots of material available online in many languages, but for our purposes as language learners, I thought we could use short, clear-sounding, natural and unscripted language with transcriptions.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7090 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 13 of 23
29 October 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm, this could make it overlap with a few dialectological projects or audio archives of interviews or short monologues involving native speakers (accompanied by transcripts).

E.g.

English
Finnish
German
Polish
Spanish
Swedish

Edited by Chung on 29 October 2012 at 10:06pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 23
29 October 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Finnish
I'm now really embarrassed that I didn't know of this resource before...

There's also this site but unfortunately there are no transcripts.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7090 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 15 of 23
29 October 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Chung wrote:
Finnish
I'm now really embarrassed that I didn't know of this resource before...

Hehe. I hope that you find it as much of a time-waster as I have :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 16 of 23
29 October 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I think this is a good idea although for some languages there is already a fair amount of transcribed audio available. For example, in French ielanguages.com, France Bienvenue and Fluent French Now do an excellent job.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version