Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 17 of 23
30 October 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I deleted my previous comment after all. But perhaps I can more usefully add that if this is supposed to be natural speech, that would more naturally be a conversation than just one person speaking wouldn't it?

I know you encourage self-talk Arekkusu, but perhaps not everyone is (yet) an expert in it.

An interview is an alternative format I suppose, but I think a conversation would be more spontaneous.

Harder to transcribe perhaps.

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 18 of 23
30 October 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I deleted my previous comment after all. But perhaps I can more
usefully add that if this is supposed to be natural speech, that would more naturally
be a conversation than just one person speaking wouldn't it?

I know you encourage self-talk Arekkusu, but perhaps not everyone is (yet) an expert in
it.

An interview is an alternative format I suppose, but I think a conversation would be
more spontaneous.

Harder to transcribe perhaps.

Your previous comment was fine; not sure why you deleted it.

I didn't intend for this to be self-talk -- not that I wouldn't encourage people to
record themselves in their second language, but this would present little benefit for
others.

My initial idea was to have short podcasts, the way Twitter made blogs short. In order
to help native speakers, I thought a group of people could offer each other short
podcasts in their native language, with transcription. The audio would be clear. Can be
one person, can be two, doesn't matter.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 23
30 October 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Would there be any interest for short 2-minute, fully transcribed audio clips in your
target languages?

Audioboo allows you to easily add audio clips on their site. We could create an HTLAL
subgroup and allow people to post their own links following a set of common rules. For
instance, they could be tagged for language, region, etc., always be recorded by native
speakers, be fully transcribed (short clips are much easier to transcribe), etc. Then,
videos could be searched by tag within the subgroup.

Arekkusu,

I deleted my previous comment because it was made before reading all the other posts, and after reading them, I thought it was superfluous. However, re-reading your original posting, I can see that it was slightly ambiguous, especially given the thread title, although it was actually clear to me what your intention was.

The ambiguity lies in the use of "target languages" in the thread title and the 1st paragraph. It looks like you are asking people to record in their TL. However, "always be recorded by native
speakers", is actually fairly clear, and that would be great. (I'd love some transcribed spoken Danish for example, although I do have unabridged audiobooks & books which covers the more formal written language pretty well).

There are transcribed podcasts out there for some languages, but going for shorter extracts makes them quite attractive .. not too much work for the person making them, and they are perhaps more accessible to the learner, and short enough to repeat over and over if you want to do that. We also have the potential advantage of being able to ask the speaker questions if anything needs clarifying. (Although we don't want to wear out the patience of kind volunteers of course by trivial questions).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 20 of 23
30 October 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
There are transcribed podcasts out there for some languages, but going for shorter extracts makes them quite attractive .. not too much work for the person making them, and they are perhaps more accessible to the learner, and short enough to repeat over and over if you want to do that. We also have the potential advantage of being able to ask the speaker questions if anything needs clarifying. (Although we don't want to wear out the patience of kind volunteers of course by trivial questions).

Exactly.

Of course, I'm not denying that this already material in a lot of languages, but this would be a different way to get motivated, maybe a more personal approach.

I've enjoyed podcasts like Schlaflos and El explicador and I thought it would be useful to have shorter podcasts with transcription within a community.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4951 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 21 of 23
30 October 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I am curious about what kind of transcriptions do you want ?

"Je ne suis pas riche" which would be the correct sentence.
"Je suis pas riche" wich is not perfect french but still only use correct words and could be what the speaker said.
"Chui pas riche" where chui does not exist in french but could figure out what the speaker actually said.

Also would you like romanization or transcription in the language script ?

By the way I am not that poor either - for now.

Edited by Michel1020 on 30 October 2012 at 2:59pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 22 of 23
30 October 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
I am curious about what kind of transcriptions do you want ?

"Je ne suis pas riche" which would be the correct sentence.
"Je suis pas riche" wich is not perfect french but still only use correct words and could be what the speaker said.
"Chui pas riche" where chui does not exist in french but could figure out what the speaker actually said.

Also would you like romanization or transcription in the language script ?

If audio is available, "je suis" would be best, in my opinion. No sense writing "ne" if it's not said, but "chui" is not necessary either because the audio can bridge the gap.

Romanization (for Japanese) is probably not necessary as you'd be past romanization if you can listen to a podcast, but members can choose.

kaptengröt
Tetraglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 4272 days ago

92 posts - 163 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic
Studies: Japanese

Message 23 of 23
15 January 2013 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
I could do some short ones with Icelandic, although it would only be from natives who speak a bit more clearly. My idea would be to take clips from youtube videos (especially recipe videos) - then it's still not scripted, but perhaps a little more thought goes into the speech than normal.

I also think it would be good for every language to have samples from different types and ages of speakers, I find kids especially difficult to understand myself.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version