Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Gay french?

Tags: Homosexuality | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6787 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 20
24 October 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
SamD wrote:
One thing I noticed when I began traveling was that many very heterosexual European men dressed with a seemingly unconscious sense of style or flair. They were generally more educated about history, art, music of all sorts and usually spoke at least three languages.

Depends on which country you visit and who you hang out with (obviously educated and cultured people in your case :)). Most people aren't like that.

Oh, no, please donĀ“t destroy the myth. Otherwise, we americans will lose the last vestiges of our inferiority complex, will stop learning foreign languages altogether, and will drop the idea of improving our educational system.

P.S. However, Japanese may be better for your health than French: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...

Edited by frenkeld on 24 October 2006 at 3:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6961 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 20
24 October 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Adammarqu wrote:
I've been learning french for a while since I've got a french girlfriend and I like talking to her in her native language.I only have a problem with french : many people say that they find it gay.

This topic is offensive. Homosexuality has nothing to do with learning languages or anything else. It is a choice those immoral people make.

SamD wrote:
European... were generally more educated about history, art, music of all sorts and usually spoke at least three languages.

Also, it is not true that people in Europe are more cultured or know more history or art than people in the USA. There is a reason the USA is the world leader in science and technology, and the USA has the best university education system in the world.

I know this is not a place for politics, but those two statements are asking for it.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6509 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 11 of 20
24 October 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Magnum wrote:
Homosexuality has nothing to do with learning languages or anything else. It is a choice those immoral people make.

Who do you think you are to judge what's immoral and what's not? And why do you misuse this forum to do it?

Magnum wrote:
I know this is not a place for politics

Neither morality. If you already know this, why do you bother us with your posting?

EOD
5 persons have voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6701 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 12 of 20
24 October 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Adammarqu wrote:
I've been learning french for a while since I've got a french girlfriend and I like talking to her in her native language.I only have a problem with french : many people say that they find it gay.
I don't really understand why they think it sounds gay but I would like to think that it doesn't.

I know this may be silly but what do you think about this?

I think that you have weird friends.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6528 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 13 of 20
24 October 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Marc Frisch. Not only is this not the place to discuss politics (much less morals), to the best of my knowledge, none of us hold the handbook on what is right and what is wrong. Let's stick to languages, and refrain from casting judgement on others.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Thomaskim
Groupie
Joined 7113 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 

Message 14 of 20
24 October 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
well after hearing all this, not only can I say that neither Europeans nor North Americans seem to have evolved thanks to their flair for culture and finesse, but also that I see little learning taking place here. It's been a slippery slope for quite some time now and will contact the Administrator to delete my profile.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6738 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 20
24 October 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Magnum wrote:
Also, it is not true that people in Europe are more cultured or know more history or art than people in the USA.

If it is not true why do you make such a statement?

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6961 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 20
24 October 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
Magnum wrote:
Homosexuality has nothing to do with learning languages or anything else. It is a choice those immoral people make.

Who do you think you are to judge what's immoral and what's not? And why do you misuse this forum to do it?

Magnum wrote:
I know this is not a place for politics

Neither morality. If you already know this, why do you bother us with your posting?

EOD

I am not the judge, history is. But why do you force this conversation? I did not start this thread, I replied to a post where someone said that learing French = being gay. I found that to be very hostile! Civilized people must speak up when someone attacks long standing notions of decency.

I study French. I would like someone on the street to come up to me and say that, and they will find out what is right and what is wrong.

Edited by Magnum on 24 October 2006 at 3:23pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version