Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Gay french?

Tags: Homosexuality | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Chung
Diglot
Joined 7000 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 20
24 October 2006 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Well... This thread is going to disappear in a hurry. So... How about those Tigers?
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6787 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 20
24 October 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Reading this discussion, half the time I couldn't even tell what the poster's opinion on the issue of gay rights is. It's as if people saw the word and took leave of their senses.

I remember reading in a more than 50 year-old book that Itlaian pronunciation sounds a bit "effeminate" to a Spaniard, while Spanish sounds a bit too harsh to an Italian. And so they probably do.

Given that according to the polls the younger generation of americans are quite open-minded on the issue of gay rights, I wouldn't be surprised if the word "gay" as used in the original post came from some sort of schoolyard/college slang and simply meant "effeminate", which I must admit French does sound to me even though I like its sound a lot, just as I do the sound of Italian.

Let's lighten up a bit.

Edited by frenkeld on 24 October 2006 at 3:46pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7000 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 20
24 October 2006 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Judging by the original poster's comment, he didn't seem to take it as a compliment when other people linked his ability in French to homosexuality. However, I don't think that he was looking to cause a ruckus or start fights about which continent is more cultured and the like. He seemed genuinely curious what some of us on this forum thought about the supposed association. I personally would shrug off their comments. Frenkeld is right. Some people just went berserk as soon as the word "gay" popped up.

frenkeld wrote:

Given that according to the polls the younger generation of americans are quite open-minded on the issue of gay rights, I wouldn't be surprised if the word "gay" as used in the original post came from some sort of schoolyard/college slang and simply meant "effeminate", which I must admit French does sound to me even though I like its sound a lot, just as I do the sound of Italian.

I have heard "gay" being used as a synonym for foolish or daft in colloquial English. In this situation, it has no sexual connotation, but homosexuals do frown upon this usage.

frenkeld wrote:

Let's lighten up a bit.

Amen. Go Tigers! ;-)

Edited by Chung on 24 October 2006 at 4:01pm

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7220 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 20
24 October 2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Gentlemen, this forum is not about politics and I think this thread is leading nowhere we want so it is now closed. Thank you.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version