Groupie
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, FrenchB2
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, Indonesian, Persian

Message 1 of 18
06 May 2008 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
I am going to try to motivate myself a bit for my preparation for CPE I am going to take in about one month. So I am beginning the real studies today
1 person has voted this message useful

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 2 of 18
06 May 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
I am going to use : English Vocabulary in Use Advanced, New Progress to Proficiency, Objective Proficiency, New Proficiency test builder, two specific books from Virginia Evans: Use of English, Listening and Speaking..

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 3 of 18
07 May 2008 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Any comments, recommendations, study tips and strategies for this one month I have from all the fellow members of the forum who succesfully passed this exam are more then welcomed.

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6362 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 18
07 May 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Ahoj Deniz! :)

Do you know the site Englishtips.org? There they have quite a nice amount of CPE materials.

When preparing, I didn´t have any particular stategies, (with a teacher) I got through Proficiency Masterclass by Oxford and I tried to do as many tests as possible. Besides, it´s good to read books when you get tired of ´normal studies´.

One thing that may be useful: When I prepare for an exam, I always make a table onto a piece of A4 paper. Columns: Reading, Use of English, Listening and Writing. Rows: test 1, test 2 etc. Into the 1st three columns I write the points and percentage I achieved, into Writing I just put a tick that it´s completed (my teacher corrected them, we discussed errors if needed, didn´t care about points in that case). And when a full test is completed, I again write there the percentage and so on, to see my results and watch if they improve or not and I can also see which areas should I practice more.

But anyway, good luck!!! :)

Cisa

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7319 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 18
07 May 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Great idea, I loved this exam, try to download former exams from the CPE website to test yourself, it is the most accurate yardstick of your progress!

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 6 of 18
08 May 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Szia and Salut,
Thanks a lot for support, Cisa and Francois. I know Englishtips.org and found some interesting materials on that site :) Cisa, your strategy sounds very smart. I have some past papers and I am going to go through them as I did with CAE exam, but tracking one´s progress in each portion of the test is definetly a good idea. This exam is a natural next step for me after the CAE and I must admit that this series of Cambridge English Exams seems to me the most accurate and trust-worthy, as I know some people, who passed IELTS and TOEFL obtaining very high scores (matching the C2 level of CPE) although their level of competence was indeed not that advanced and it seems to me it does not happen with the CAE and CPE exams.

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 7 of 18
11 May 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
So today I am going through 15 topics of Advanced Vocabulary in Use, 50 pages of The Cryptographer (one of the recommended books for the exam) and three chapters of New Progress to Proficiency. I will keep the same programme for the next ten days. I will try to go through four CPE past papers in the meantime.

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 8 of 18
13 May 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
ok, I can t stick to the programme as it was too idealistic..I must span hte supposed workload over two days as I have some exams at school.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version