Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 55
14 July 2008 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Ok - then if atamagaii doesn't mind, I'll translate it when I get back from vacation (in August).

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 43 of 55
15 July 2008 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Sybaritic wrote:
Have a nice vacation. Is this a language immersion trip, and if so, to where and for what language (if you don't
mind my prying)?

It's not a language immersion trip; it's my usual summer trip to visit my southern Italian relatives. That said, I do plan to do intensive language study during it - but of Russian, and entirely independently.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7148 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 44 of 55
15 July 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Are you all talking about the one page translation that originally burst the Listening-Reading methodology on this forum?

Edited by luke on 15 July 2008 at 9:46am

jody
United States
Joined 6181 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 45 of 55
06 August 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Sorry if this has been answered already, but there is so much written about the L-R method that it takes hours to wade through.

I read in Volte's original post on this thread that L-R is only marginally effecting in less than one hour per day. HOW marginally? I am very busy with work and family, and can only afford about an hour per day (half-hour in the afternoon, and half-hour at night) to my language studies. I know this will not give me rapid progression, but I am not in a hurry. I want to learn Spanish, but I am willing to take it slow. But if L-R is not very effective in short, 30-minute bursts, should I start with a different method? I'm already doing Pimsleur (currently at Level 1, Lesson 24). I am still a beginner.

Should I do some L-R during these 30-minute sessions? Or just forget about it unless I can devote 2-3 hours in a row?

Thanks for your thoughts.

(ps...I "could" use these 30 minutes studying from a book like "Teach Yourself"...but I HATE TEXTBOOKS! I know they are useful and might be inevitable...but I want to avoid them as long as I can!)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 46 of 55
06 August 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
jody wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but there is so much written about the L-R method that it takes hours to wade through.

I read in Volte's original post on this thread that L-R is only marginally effecting in less than one hour per day. HOW marginally? I am very busy with work and family, and can only afford about an hour per day (half-hour in the afternoon, and half-hour at night) to my language studies. I know this will not give me rapid progression, but I am not in a hurry. I want to learn Spanish, but I am willing to take it slow. But if L-R is not very effective in short, 30-minute bursts, should I start with a different method? I'm already doing Pimsleur (currently at Level 1, Lesson 24). I am still a beginner.

Should I do some L-R during these 30-minute sessions? Or just forget about it unless I can devote 2-3 hours in a row?

Thanks for your thoughts.

(ps...I "could" use these 30 minutes studying from a book like "Teach Yourself"...but I HATE TEXTBOOKS! I know they are useful and might be inevitable...but I want to avoid them as long as I can!)

First, take the following with a grain of salt. I haven't done enough experimentation to show this conclusively. But, as I mentioned in my first post, with a comparison of methods, I'd seriously consider using something like Assimil rather than L-R with a relatively limited amount of time per day.

The nice thing about L-R is that it gives you massive comprehensible input, at a mixture of levels (most books have everything from one-line interjections to fairly complex sentences). However, you have to infer almost everything from this yourself, and simply forgetting information is a serious problem: before the incubation period is over, you basically have an amorphous heap of things you haven't internalized, memorized, or been exposed to many times, and almost everyone forgets this type of information extremely fast when it's not reinforced and built on (ie, by doing more L-R, until you hit natural listening and have internalized enough of the language that it doesn't all fall over).

A much better alternative, in my opinion, is to use something with graded input that builds in a logical and natural manner - that is, a good course. A reasonable choice should be whatever appeals to you from a list of Assimil, FSI, Michael Thomas, or various older methods (Lomb's method and Spivak's method have both been described online in English); other things like Destinos may also qualify, but I'm not particularly familiar with it.

I see absolutely no reason to use textbooks if you hate them. A combination (or even a sufficient subset) of good courses, reference grammars, and exposure to native material entirely negates the need.

In your shoes, I'd use something like L-R, but at an 'advanced' stage - ie, after finishing some other courses, at a point where you can understand a fair amount of what you read or hear in relatively easy native sources (such as written or spoken news - high register Spanish shares a lot of vocabulary with English, and is spoken fairly clearly). Professor Arguelles has written on the value of using audiobooks at an advanced stage, and uses them for maintenance; I'd recommend finding and reading those posts, as they're much more likely to be relevant than anything more I can say.

And, one last note: I find having a portable MP3 player extremely useful. I put in several extra hours of listening, mostly but not entirely in the background, due to having one. I credit a small but non-negligible chunk of my progress to this.

Edit: most importantly - experiment for yourself. See what works for you and what doesn't.

Edited by Volte on 06 August 2008 at 9:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 47 of 55
06 August 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Are you all talking about the one page translation that originally burst the Listening-Reading methodology on this forum?

No, I'm talking about the link from the first page of this thread, L-R in a nutshell (one page, in Polish).

It doesn't go into detail on the steps; rather, it provides a concise outline. It's somewhat like a table of contents.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version