United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5966 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 17 of 26
17 July 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Hi - Actually nevermind I PM'ed you twice, hehe, xD

Ganbatte! I hope you are able to achieve basic fluency !
1 person has voted this message useful

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 18 of 26
17 July 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I am tired (long story short I woke up 4 hours earlier than usual to go to a friends house) so I will do you all a favor and keep it short today. I will start with my log.

For today...
Kanji:50
Sentences: 0
Hours of Input: 2

Overall today...
Kanji: 1960
Hours of Input: 319

My input was lacking due to the trip to my friends house. Anyways, I plan on finishing up all the kanji tomorrow. I am going to wake up , eat breakfast, review kanji, then I will spend 3-4 hours finishing it all up! I will post the second (or minute...) finish up.

Edited by Rekunoto on 18 July 2008 at 1:20am

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 

Message 19 of 26
19 July 2008 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
I did it! I finally finished learning all 2042 kanji! Before going into details, I will give my log.

For today...
Kanji:82
Hours of Input:0

Overall...
Kanji: 2042
Hours of Input: 319

I know the input is lacking (severely), but since I finished the Kanji, can't that be excused for a day? :)

Anyways, a quote by Sheetz expresses my exact feelings as of now. The only difference is that I review with Anki, not the Reviewing the Kanji site.

"I did it. I actually did it. I finished Heisig. Well, not exactly finished, since I still have to keep reviewing the kanji I've studied until I know them by heart, but that's easily done with the Reviewing the Kanji website. What it does mean, though, is that I no longer have to spend countless hours on kanji, forcing myself to stay up till the wee hours just to get them done. It means I can actually have a life now.

I feel like I should be going to Disneyland or something, but I guess I'll just take a break this holiday weekend and rest up."

Well, earlier I told you guys "I am not going to start sentences until I get back from my vacation blah blah blah..." However, I remembered that my main reason for doing Kanji was just to get to the sentences. Khatzumoto at AJATT makes learning the Kanji the first step of his method, yet I tried multiple times to go direct to sentences, yet I always failed without heisig.

So since I finished RTK1, I decided to start sentences, albeit very slowly. Since I will already be reviewing ~450 kanji when I get back from Florida, I don't want to also have hundreds of sentences waiting for me, but who knows, I may go a little crazy on the sentences.

Anyways, I will aim for around 10 sentences a day for the first week for the reason above. I will probably bump this to 25 once my post-vacation life starts. I am planning on starting with Tae Kim's grammar guide to get the key parts of Japanese grammar down.

Since I am going into sentence mode starting tomorrow, I am also starting to build up my Japanese immersion environment again. I used to have a really good environment going, but I took a very small break and it was gone. Here is how language environments work for me.

1. Slowly build up materials (Music, anime, magazines, movies, anything Japanese)
2. Start doing these things
3. After doing them for awhile, your Japanese Environment begins. You are constantly listening/reading Japanese.
4. Take a break (can be as short as day) and end up quitting the environment.

My goal is to start an environment and never do #4. Obviously, my vacation will end up being a #4, so I will have to build another environment once I get back.

Anyways, I am going to go get some Japanese dramas/music/whatever.

Edited by Rekunoto on 19 July 2008 at 12:50am

notespad
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5966 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 20 of 26
19 July 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
congrats!!! I knew you could do it, xD

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 

Message 21 of 26
19 July 2008 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks notespad!

I added ten sentences from Tae Kims grammar guide. I plan on slowly working through that for as long as it interests me. It is good to have a language's grammar shown to you in a simple manner. The main selling point of the guide is the heavy use of example sentences. Some "guides" just give the rule, without any examples or context. This is not the case for this excellent sentence source. I highly recommend it to anyone learning the Japanese language.

I decided to quit the little graph I used to do, where I put the kanji, sentences, and input hours. It made my language learning seem too strict...like I had to meet a certain quota or something.

Anyways, I watched a bit of a Japanese drama today. I listened to my Japanese music for a couple of hours, and I just got a couple more episodes of my favorite anime, D. Gray Man.

I also reviewed 80 kanji today. I had some technical problems with Anki, but they are solved. I will (finally) be back to my normal reviewing schedule on Monday.

Well after finishing the kanji, I kind of cleared one of my big goals out of the way. Like Khatzumoto said "A big project is just a bunch of smaller, daily projects." This is what my "goal chart" looks like now. I don't want to have the single goal of "Reach basic fluency in Japanese", that's too broad and too far away. So I have sub-goals, aka "milestones". Since I finished RTK, my next goal for my Japanese journey is to go monolingual.

Go here and here for more info.

I have noticed that setting sub-goals (finish RTK, go monolingual, etc) helps language learning. If you finish these sub-goals, two things happen.

1. You gain motivation to keep moving towards finishing your main goal (becomeing fluent in my case)
2. Completing the goal itself actually got you closer to your main goal

So from now on, I will keep a "sub-goal" going.

Edited by Rekunoto on 19 July 2008 at 11:57pm

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 

Message 22 of 26
20 July 2008 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
For the last two days, I didn't have access to my SRS, so my kanji review stack grew to 165! I thought there was no way I could finish, because I was dead tired. I finally pulled together the effort to start, and then it just played itself out. It kind of did itself. Learning Japanese is like starting a fire while you are stranded on an island. Yeah, it's a bit tough to start, but once the fire get's going, it just keeps burning.

I can prodly say that I reviewed 165 kanji in one sitting (actually I took a small break...). I am going to review and add sentences to my SRS now.

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 

Message 23 of 26
21 July 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
I am really proud of myself today. I got tons of input, and I added sentences to my SRS. I also reviewed around 60 kanji.

bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 24 of 26
21 July 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I never thoguht about going monolingual before. Thanks for the links. Also, I know it´s a few days late but congrats on finishing the kanji and good luck with your Japanese.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version