Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 22
21 July 2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Quote:

16-21 July 08
Here is my updated plan:

7th July - 21nd July
Introduction phase

Doing 1 or 2 lessons a day, getting the basics.
Clic Clic Cymraeg
Catchphrase (I have done up to lesson 6 out of 144)

22nd July - 16th August
Intensive phase

Doing 3 to 4 lessons a day, with revision session in the evening using the texts.
E-wlpan (online)
Catchphrase (audio)

On the 16th of August, I have a 10 + hour bus ride to Wales, in which time, I will do studying and revision En masse.

16th August - 23rd August
Consolidation phase

Immersion week in Wales, time to learn, consolidate and revise everything. Main aim- To cement everything into my Brain.
1 lesson per night.
If I have a long journey anywhere, I may or may not listen to more lessons

On the 23rd August, I have a 10+ hour bus ride BACK, in which I will do more studying En masse.

23rd August - 2 September
Ending phase

In this time, I will still be doing intensive learning, but I will be reading a book, online, to pick up idioms, consolidate rules and pick up vocabulary.

3rd September
Test day

I will be doing the following to test my Welsh. I will be handing the test to a native speaker who will evaluate my skills.

Writing a paragraph about myself and my week in Wales.
Reading a small story, and afterwards (in English) I will describe what happens.
Take part in a discussion, in Welsh, online.

I will be given a mark out of 20 for each test, judging on Quality, Accuracy and Flowing
(eg. I went to Wales. I did many things there. It was good = Not flowing. I went to Wales on the 16th till the 23rd, We did alot of good things and I really enjoyed it = Flowing)
I will also give myself a mark out of 10 for each section on Use of a Dictionary and Ease.

All in all, I will get a mark out of 90, in which I can evaluate my progress.

I will not stop on the 3rd of September though - I will keep learning until I am able to take an exam in it.

From

www.thelinguistschallenge.blogspot.com

TEL
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 18 of 22
21 July 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
I just peeked in to see how you're doin'. Wow, looks like you've got a sizable schedule there.. :) how's the Intensive Phase going?

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6023 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German

Message 19 of 22
21 July 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
The Intensive phase will start tomorrow :)

It is quite sizable, but with a task like this, you need to be organised!

I'm finding it hard at the moment, because of the differences, and the initial hurdle.
But the great thing is that there are MANY (sound-wise) cognates with Cornish. They look completly different on paper, but sound almost identical in spoken.

Its going to be even harder when I get to many lessons a day.

Thanks
TEL

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6023 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds

Message 20 of 22
22 July 2008 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
22 July
Day one of the intensive phase of the test.

I finally got around to plowing my way through the 400 flashcards accumalated in the introduction phase, from Lessons 1 - 7 of Catchphrase.

I did Lesson 7 this morning, and am going to do 8 and hopefull 9 before going to sleep.

The amount of cognates are STAGGERING.

When I first read the statistics (75% shared vocabulary) I didnt believe them, but now I am.
I hope to publish a table of cognates soon, just to show you how many there are!

My first reviews:
Catchphrase

This is my primary resource, because it is very comprehensive, it is portable as it is in an audio format, and it is very good at building on what you already know.
The problem that I find is that the teacher is very fast, in regards to learning and speech, and it is very hard to keep up. Also, you cannot rely upon it to teach you the vocabulary unless you do them in rapid succesion. One final problem I have is that it doesnt give you a chance to practise, it asks very few questions, compared to something like Michel Thomas, and therefore, the patterns dont cement in.

E-wlpan
This is my secondary resource. It doesnt give any explanations, but it gives you phrases etc. to practise and use. And it is very comprehensive.

Anki
This is my flashcard program, I find it much easier to use than the other programs, and I love the feature that lets you put your cards online for study anywhere. I cant think of ANY downsides to this program!

I have started to listen to some Welsh on BBC Radio Cymru, just to get used to the sounds and rhythm of the language, hoping that this will give me a small advantage.

TEL
thelinguistschallenge.blogspot.com

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6023 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds

Message 21 of 22
24 July 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
23 July 08
Today, I did lesson 8 - 12 of Catchphrase
(Dw i wedi gorfen gwersiau 8 - 12 yn Nghatchphrase :D - My first welsh sentence!)

I am working on the cognate list I metioned before.

Welsh grammar is getting easier and easier.

First, the present tense is just "Dw i'n" + verb
Now i find that the HAVE tense is just Wedi !!

WOW

I love this test!

Thelinguist

TEL
thelinguistschallenge.blogspot.com

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6023 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds

Message 22 of 22
25 July 2008 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
Quote:

24 July 08
Did lessons 13 - 15 today

The intensive phase is getting pretty hard, finding it hard to find time to do 2 hours of audio lessons!
Also, the vocabulary is getting on top of me, Anki now has 2000 flashcards in it! And Im doing on average 52.1 per day (apparently).
Although, thats 1000 words/grammar phrases* in my vocabulary, and being pushed into my long term memory.
I wish I had ANKI with Cornish, it took me weeks of practise to get the words, grammar and phrases right. But with Anki, I am able to memorize my phrases/words/grammar phrases*!

* This is my word for words and constructions that are more to do with Grammar, and are not really words (Eg. Mae ___ da fy = I have ___ -- That is a grammar phrase (in my book))

I now have 23 days until I go to Wales!
Hopefully, I can do 92 Catchphrase lessons in that time (that will take me up to lesson 107)

Then, if I do 10-12 on the bus to Wales, (1 per hour) that will take me to lesson 117/121.

10-12 in one day is really pushing it, i know, but I will try. It is 10-12 hours anyway!

Jowl - I can hardly do 4 in a day, let alone 10 - 12!

Then on the way back, another 10-12, that gets me to lesson 131-133
That will give me only 12 to do and I am finished Catchphrase Welsh! - 3 days.

That means that, hopefully, by 25th August, I will have finished Catchphrase.
From then, I, hopefully, will read a book or something. lol.

TheLinguist

TEL

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version