Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 6
28 July 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
   Between the ages of one and eight, I visited Germany every year for a couple months to see my grandparents that lived there. When I was seven my grandfather passed away then two years later my grandmother also passed on. After they died our trips stopped.
   According to my parents (I don't remember much from back then), I could speak German quite well and could easily switch between English and German. However in the eight years I didn't visit there, I lost most of my German. I picked up a few curses and nasty sayings from my dad around the house but other than that, nothing. Last summer I took a trip to Switzerland and Germany with AMA (American Musicians Abroad). I spent some time with old friends and my aunt and was thoroughly frustrated. I could sit there and understand the jist of what the conversations meant but i could never add anything to them.
   I never really got interested in German again until I got a birthday card from my aunt that was in German. I looked up the meaning of some of the words and stumbled across some German sites and decided it was time to pick it up. I'm hoping this log will help keep me on track seeing I have a bad habit of picking up something and dropping it right back down.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 2 of 6
28 July 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Day One of Learning Log--July 28th, 2008
-I've been going at German for maybe two weeks now and have gotten Michel Thomas down pat to CD number five of the Basic German set.
-I've been dipping my toes in all sorts of different programs trying to get the feel for it.
-I've been listening to last.fm and all of their German songs.
-I've been using the Duetsche Welle website A LOT.
-I tried to use FSI but it was just not my thing.
-Every day I have done a little bit of Michel Thomas and written down some of the sentences and put them into flashcards to practice.
-I've been trying to build my vocabulary using ALBIS.

The other entries will be in more detail seeing as this one covered a long span of time.

Edited by Ballack503 on 29 July 2008 at 11:44pm

Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 3 of 6
29 July 2008 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Day Two of Learning Log--July 29, 2008
Estimated time: 60 minutes
-I reworked my way through Deutsch Interaktiv; Lektion 1:1 and copied the vocab words and phrases listed on the right into Anki Flashcard Maker.
-I listened to the first few of Michel Thomas' lessons on CD 5.
-Just sat there and listened to lots of German music. My favorite being ichisichisich by Fanta4.

Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 4 of 6
01 August 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Days 3-5 of Learning Log--July 30, 2008- August 1, 2008
Estimated Time (Total)- 120 minutes
-I worked my way through Michel Thomas CD 5 and was able to review a good part of it.
-On August 1, I reviewed Lektion 1 and 2 of Deutsch Interaktiv and began Lektion 3.
-Reviewed my flashcards and forgot nearly all of my vocabulary.
-Still listened to lots of German music.

Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 5 of 6
06 August 2008 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Days 6-9 of Learning Log--August 2, 2008- August 5, 2008
Estimated Time (Total)- 60 minutes
-These few days I was on vacation and I have to say I slacked off pretty badly. I barely attempted German at all.
-I ran through the first bit of Lektion 3 on Deutsch Interaktiv.
-Went through all of my flash cards while adding about 30 new ones.
-Skimmed through some of my old children's books which I love! It is a fun and easy way to really apply what I learned.
-While I was relaxing on the beach(oh ya) I listened through Michel Thomas 5 again.
-Hopefully now that I am home I can get more done.

Ballack503
United States
Joined 5924 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 6 of 6
13 August 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Days 10-18 of Learning Log--August 6, 2008- August 13, 2008
Estimated Time (Total)-160 minutes
-WOW, these past days have been terrible.
-I basically just reviewed and reviewed and reviewed EVERYTHING I have done before. It was more out of frustration than actual learning. I hit a wall in Deutsch Interaktiv and Michel Thomas and needed to get around it.
-Almost all of the D.I. lessons I did over, and 3 of the cds I reviewed. I tried to review some of my flashcards but didn't get far.
- However I had a flame lit beneath my ass when I met a boy my age that was visiting the U.S. from Germany. My mom told him I was learning German so we got talking and exchanged Skype adresses. I really want to learn more just to talk to him.
-Hopefully I'll be getting more done this week.
-Still reading those kids books and LOVING it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version