Meltdown
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 9
11 August 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I've just got all the materials I need to begin Italian. I have Michel Thomas Italian, Pimsleur Italian, Assimil Italian with Ease and Schaum's outline of Italian Grammar. I am going to start studying actively every day from today for a duration of at least an hour. This is my first foreign language and I'm a bit nervous, but excited none the less. I'll be posting a bit about what I've done in Italian each day. I hope to look back on this post in 6 months and realize how far I've come.

Edited by Meltdown on 11 August 2008 at 2:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

Meltdown
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 2 of 9
12 August 2008 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
The first day of studying went moderately well. I did 30 minutes of Michel Thomas and a Pimsleur lesson which adds up to a total of an hour so far. I'm considering buying Mastering Italian Vocabulary, but I haven't decided where to work it into my routine. Speaking of routines, I think I'll hold Assimil off until I finish the Pimsleur MT combination. I may also drop Pimsleur and just do MT at the moment and then pair Pimsleur and Assimil. It's all in the air at the moment, I guess I'm just testing the waters. As for the grammar book, I'll begin it today. I find studying rather enjoyable (at this point, at least). In fact, I found it so enjoyable that I had to force myself to stop in order to avoid cramming too much into me at once. I'm sure later on there will be days that I'm absolutely disgusted with Italian, but I'm ready for it.

That's it for now. I hope to have a very constructive first 30 days of study.

Nocturne
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6091 days ago

67 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Korean, Swedish

Message 3 of 9
12 August 2008 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I'm currently beginning Russian, and finding that doing MT first gives you a nice basic knowledge of the language's structure that will definitely help you with less grammar-explicit materials such as Assimil and Pimsleur. Beyond that, good luck with your Italian studies! Don't worry about it being your first foreign language, I'm sure you'll do great.

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5973 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 4 of 9
12 August 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Meltdown wrote:
I hope to look back on this post in 6 months and realize how far I've come.

I am studying Italian as well. It's a beautiful language. Be consistent, do something toward your goal every day, especially on those days that you don't feel like it and you will look back in 6 months with a sense of accomplishment. Good luck!

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6106 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 9
12 August 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I second what Felipe said! Anyone can study on the days where you're excited about it; it's the studying you do on the "blah" days that really help.

Best of luck!

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5937 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 6 of 9
12 August 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
I would like to thank you for rekindling my desire to study Italian. Time to get off my backside and do some work on it. It isn't something I wish to lose. Ciao.

Meltdown
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 7 of 9
12 August 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
ExtraLean wrote:
I would like to thank you for rekindling my desire to study Italian. Time to get off my backside and do some work on it. It isn't something I wish to lose. Ciao.

I find Italian very beautiful. Italian culture is just amazing and I can't wait to be able to experience that first hand. Good luck with your studies.

Meltdown
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 8 of 9
13 August 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, that's another hour of Italian down. I did 30 minutes of Michel Thomas, Pimsleur I lesson 2, and about 15 minutes of chapter 1 of my grammar book (nouns). I did find today to be a bit more sluggish than yesterday, especially with Michael Thomas. Some more verbs were introduced and the sentences gradually became longer and longer. I'm sure I sounded quite funny attempting to string all of it out. I really am tempted to begin Assimil as well, but I feel it would be better to hold off until I make it through Pimsleur/MT. I am enjoying studying Italian and I know that I will achieve my goal very easily if I keep pace. I've gotten access to a few movies. Two Roberto Benigni films: La vita è bella and Il Mostro. I also have La dolce vita. I think I'll hold off on watching them until I can understand more of Italian and won't have to use subtitles as a crutch. I really am eager to watch them and I'm not sure if I can hold off the temptation for long.

That's it for today, let's hope tomorrow will be as productive.

Edited by Meltdown on 13 August 2008 at 8:52pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version