United States
Joined 5892 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
19 August 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Reasons for Study:
  • I am 1/4 German and love the way the language sounds and looks.
  • I am also 1/2 Dutch and plan to learn Dutch at some point and a foundation in German should help there.
  • I am enjoying the scholarly pursuit of learning languages.

Methods to be Used:
  • Pimsleur I, II & III
  • Michel Thomas Foundation, Advanced, Language Builder
  • Rosetta Stone German Version 3
  • Assimil German with Ease
  • Essential German Grammar book
  • Various free online resources.

(I'm fortunate enough to have a really great local library, so I'm able to access much of this for free.)

I also have Barron's Mastering German (based on the FSI program), but not sure if I'll use it or not.

In 2001, I went through the entire Pimsleur program before taking a trip to the Netherlands and was fairly pleased with my ability to communicate basic tourist-y things. I also began the Barrons course but found it too boring and dry to stick with. Since then though I haven't really pursued German or kept up what I already knew.

For the last 2 months, I've been working through Pimsleur again on my commute to and from work (been doing 2 lessons a day since it is more or less review). I'm currently on Lesson 2 of German III. I have also worked through Michel Thomas' Foundation Course and am on the first CD of the Advanced Course. I also received my copy of Assimil on Friday and am now on Lesson 6, using it basically as outlined in the book, listing to the lesson and rereading the text throughout the day during my spare time.

I also try to do a little Rosetta Stone each night, but I find it a bit boring and I'm not even that sure how effective it is. But I'll press on with it.

I doubt I'll update this log every day, but I'll try to check in once or twice a week. The purpose of this log is basically just to keep me honest and motivated.

Where I'm at:
Pimsleur German III, Lesson 2
Michel Thomas Advanced, CD1
Rosetta Stone, Level 1, Unit 3, Lesson 4
Assimil Lesson 6

Edited by Luke3026 on 19 August 2008 at 8:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6379 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
19 August 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Good luck. German is an amazing language. I get high on watching Deutsch Kochen fuer Anfaenger by Deutsche Welle on Youtube.. but I'm just on that boundary between intermediate and basic fluency (as defined by this forum).

Luke3026
United States
Joined 5892 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 3 of 5
21 August 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Where I'm at:
Pimsleur German III, Lesson 5
Assimil Lesson 9
MT Advanced, CD1
Rosetta Stone Level 1, Unit 3, Lesson 4

I'm to the point now where my responses to Pimsleur and MT are getting a little easier and I'm able to say something "because it sounds right" rather than calculating some grammar rule a little better. And since Pimsleur, MT and RS give little or no real grammar explanation, I've been reading through my grammar text here and there as well.

I can pronounce most words now with little trouble, although I still get tripped up sometimes with long compound words where I'll misjudge where the word breaks are.

Also, my 5-year-old son loves playing with the Rosetta Stone software (or "the German language game" as he calls it.) It's funny to hear him say out of the blue "der Vogel fliegt" or "can I have some Milch, please."

Luke3026
United States
Joined 5892 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 4 of 5
22 August 2008 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Where I'm at:
Pimsleur German III, Lesson 8
Assimil Lesson 10
MT Advanced, CD1

I have to say I'm glad to be nearly finished with Pimsleur. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great program but at this point I find it boring and tedious. At least with MT, you get some real interaction and explanations. I'm really liking the Assimil approach and look forward to those lessons. I'm also re-listening to all the previous lessons regularly as well.

Haven't had much time for RS, but that probably isn't a huge loss anyway.

Watched a few episodes of Fokus Deutsch online and found a German language website about hockey that I've been reading too.

Luke3026
United States
Joined 5892 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 5 of 5
27 August 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Where I'm at:
Pimsleur German III, Lesson 12
Assimil Lesson 16
MT Advanced, CD2

Still plugging along with the various programs. Watched a German film last night ("Run Lola Run") and was able to pick out some words.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version