egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 32
28 April 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
This year ive just got back into Spanish, im less than a week in trying to remember/re-learn what i learned last year in the previous tac challenge. I will be sticking with Spanish, and not starting another language until i am fairly conversational with Spanish. Currently i am working my way through the Michel Thomas materials, ill almost finished the advanced one last time, and i want to eclipse that this time. so far it has been fairly plain sailing working through the beginner course again, i have only had to repeat one unit and i am already on disc 7 again. i hope to have that all finished and back on the advanced disc set by the 1st of may start date.

A more on the Spanish experience, last time i thought i was progressing well, reading news articles online, getting the gist of the article, and often being able to translate whole sentences in my head. i had started to try and read a couple of books that i had already read in English. then i just seemed to have got burnt out and i slipped to only reviewing my flashcards, just when i was starting to make progress, then i fell out of the habit. hopefully i dont have to make all of those flashcards again, i still have supermemo on the computer, i was planning on starting using it again next week. dont know how many hours i have spent on Spanish, it has to be in the ballpark of 100+-

before that, at school i spent 5 fairly unproductive years learning french, with a little German and latin thrown in the mix. never thought i was any good at french, so never did any work on it outside school hours. but a while after i left school i saw a program on tv, in french, and i had a fairly good idea what was going on, so maybe ill pick it up again later in life.

my new plan is to finish the MT beginner, again, and advanced, finally, then learn some more words and phrases using his language builder and the newer MT course by rose lee hayden. by the time im on the language builder, probably before that, i intend on using the flashcards again, reading more online news sites, working with the notes in Spanish podcast (with the transcripts), maybe the coffee break Spanish podcast, and a few other podcasts. then it will be time to do the assimil Spanish with ease, though ill probably try and bring this in soon after i have finished MT advanced. that should take me to pretty near the end of the year, and hopefully a good grasp of Spanish. if anyone has any advice, or resources that could be of use to me, please let me know what they are. ill try my best to post what i do, what resources i use, and how they work for me.

Favourite Materials Used:
MIchel Thomas beginner Spanish
Michel Thomas advanced Spanish
Assimil Spanish With Ease
Supermemo 2004 (for flashcards)
NOtes in Spanish podcasts
Coffee Break Spanish podcasts
Spanish-bookstore.com podcasts
quizlet (for learning and reviewing vocabularly, especially useful finding premade sets, all the coffee break Spanish lessons are on there).

Total time since 1st May 2008 50h54m

Edited by egg_uk on 28 June 2008 at 10:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 2 of 32
28 April 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
27th April, 120minutes, listened to the Notes In Spanish inspired beginners first podcast to start this session, to see how much i had regressed since last year, and that seems to be a lot. i had not listened to any native speakers in a long time, and did seem quick and harder to follow than last time i tried, but nowhere near as hard as the first time i ever tried to follow a foreign conversation. hopefully this will pick up in the next few weeks/months when i will regularly be listening to foreign conversations.

most of my time was spent with MT beginner and i worked from 5c-6g, no repeating was needed with this, as i felt pretty confident with it. by the time the challenge starts, when i will be providing a total time as well, i should be back on MT advanced.

does everyone agree the Assimil with ease will be the best thing to follow on from MT advanced, as well as using other materials?

thanks and good luck to everyone else who starts this challenge on thursday

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 3 of 32
29 April 2008 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
28th, only 68 minutes of MT beginner, from parts 6h-7f. starting to get a little tougher, didn't repeat any units, covered how to use will and would. i still think i should be finished with the beginner work before the 1st of may. but i think i may have to do work harder with the MT advanced than the beginner. after that i spent some time, unrecorded, listening to Notes in Spanish advanced, some of the time i was trying to mentally translate the what they were saying, other times i was just listening.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 4 of 32
30 April 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
29th, only 43 minutes, not much time with weight training and football on tv. went from 7g-8c. i stopped at 8c as it had a higher play count than the other tracks around, so i thought i would start on that track again, repeat it, the next time i study. There is a lot more information in 8c than in most of the other tracks, so it will be good for me to listen to it twice. I'm pretty confident with what i have covered so far, I seem to be remembering it, which is good, but I feel progress is starting to slow down, and as I keep going I am going to have to repeat more and more tracks. But hopefully with the aid of other materials, especially the flashcards and native sources, I am going to retain a lot of the new items I cover. I am glad that I remember so much from my last run at Spanish, I thought it might be similar to learning from scratch, otherwise I may have came back to it a bit earlier.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 5 of 32
01 May 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
didnt do anything on the 30th, after training and watching the football i had a headache so went to bed. the first official day is going well so far, hopefully it carries on this well.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 6 of 32
02 May 2008 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
1st official day of tac Spanish. 131minutes. I finished the beginner MT work, parts 8c-8j. Then proceeded with MT advanced and worked through 1A-1L, repeating part B. I'm fairly confident with it still, but I am thinking about repeating part L on my next session. I'm humming and haring over whether to use flashcards or not, they are very tedious, and as I'm working with MT courses at the minute, and they highly discourage that type of learning, then I'm in two minds. After the MT courses, definitely the new vocab course, not so sure about the language builder, is it value for money? I will be starting the beginners Assimil and using podcasts and native sources.

Edited by egg_uk on 03 May 2008 at 9:13am

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 7 of 32
03 May 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
2nd day, only 77mins today, but i am still making good progress. I started off by repeating 1L again, and made it all the way to 2h, but had to also repeat 2d and 2e. I think I am getting near to catching up with where i got up to the first time, i think that was 3o or 3p. Things are starting to get hazy, so the progress is going to be slower from now, with more repeating of the units. Hopefully i havent gone through the units too quick, they seemed to make sense and i could answer pretty much all the questions he put forward, and knew what mistakes i had made, of which there were very few.

With the recent poll i put forward it looks like i will be starting my flashcards again, hopefully i can reset the play count for them so i dont have to recreate them all, i have ordered assimil with ease, and am intending on using that, along with loquella's version of fsi, once i have finished with MT and his vocab course. Also there will be podcasts being used, starting in the next few days, as well as reading news articles and maybe the odd film.

Edited by egg_uk on 04 May 2008 at 3:31pm

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 8 of 32
04 May 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
3rd of may, 79 minutes total, Listened to the first 2 notes in Spanish inspired beginners podcasts(NISIB) to see how i was progressing, and i could translate most of it in my head. Also did some more MT advanced, parts 2h-2k, repeating part I. I am having some troubles with part I, i think i remember these issues last time. hopefully with another couple of attempts with it i should get it, i just keep making mistakes with it. Finally gave in and restarted my flashcards, resetting the play count and starting from the beginning. only did the first hundred, which were pretty easy, going to have to put a big effort in with it now i have started as i think there are 1000-1500 so far, and for it to work properly i should be working through them all with the right spacing.

Edited by egg_uk on 05 May 2008 at 7:54am

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version