Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Esperanto, Sanskrit, Japanese

Message 9 of 40
09 May 2008 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Day Eight

Pimsleur Russian 1 Lesson 20
Flashcards: 94 repetitions and 26 new kanji (the rest of first grade).
One page of writing practice - kanji and katakana - I need to practice katakana some more.
Reviewed exercises 1 and 2 of NPRC and listened to audio for them - good pronunciation practice.

I better get properly started on some sentences this weekend, along with my Media Studies essay.

Edit: also today:

Watched one episode of Naruto (Japanese with English subs).

Lessons 1 - 4 (repeat) and 5 of A Japanese Reader - I read this most nights (normally in bed, so after writing my log). With this book, I begin by reading through the Japanese text for all the lessons before going on to the next. I'll continue to do this until I can read them fluently (without hesitation). I normally read aloud.

Edited by farrioth on 10 May 2008 at 3:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 10 of 40
10 May 2008 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
Day Nine

Flashcards: 134 repetitions + 29 new words
Listened to 10 minutes of Esperanto (see below)
Wrote a post in Esperanto on the Lernu forums.
Listened to Radio Svoboda (Russian) for 1 hour 15 minutes while doing other things
Read some Esperanto websites for about 20 minutes - lots of dictionary lookups.

I listened to 10 minutes of the 'Radio' Verda podcasts in Esperanto that I had downloaded. I was rather disappointed with these. They didn't seem well put together and half of what I listened to (or skipped through) was spoken with a very bad 'angla' accent. I think this was meant to be funny. Hovewer, I don't think I'll be listening to Radio Verda again. I'm going to try to find another source of Esperanto Audio. News would be good. That being said, I could understand most of what was being talked about.

I've also decided that my flashcard system needs an overhaul. I want to start using more sentences.

Currently I use Mnemosyne (SRS) for all my cards. Most of my cards consist of single words. I'm going to find sentences with these words in and use those on my cards instead, except for Japanese, where I'm going to study more Kanji first.

For Russian, I'll find example sentences using the words currently in my database (that I need to learn for class) and then take out the individual word cards.

For Esperanto, I'll trim down my current list of words and start using sentences from Lernu's words of the day (which currently gives me more than enough sentences).

For Japanese, I'll leave in the word cards for words that I need to learn for class. I'm going to study kanji before I move on to sentences.

I also really want popup dictionaries like Perapera-kun for Japanese for my other languages. This would speed things up for me a lot when reading websites.

Edited by farrioth on 10 May 2008 at 6:44am

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 11 of 40
12 May 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
I have been studying over the last couple of days, but I don't have time to write about it now. Expect a full update tomorrow or so.

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 12 of 40
13 May 2008 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Day Ten

Did my flashcard repetitions, although I didn't record the numbers (I'm writing this log a couple of days later).
Read over the first couple lessons of the Princeton Russian course, and listened to the dialogs, which were rather interesting. I haven't yet studied these thoroughly, though.
Listened to two episodes of A Taste of Russian (entirely in Russian) - I had listened to these previously; this time I could understand a lot more than before. I'll post a link to these when I get a chance.
Did Japanese Pimsleur lesson 29.

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 13 of 40
13 May 2008 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Day Eleven

Re-read lessons 1 - 6 and read lesson 7 of A Japanese Reader. Lesson 7 now begins on katakana, which is something I need more practice with.

Listened to Radio Svoboda again for about an hour - I will try to find radio stations to listen to for my other languages, and cycle between them, so my listening isn't too focused on one language.

I've found a good Firefox extension known as FireDictionary, which gives a definition in the sidebar for the word that the cursor is over. I'll write a post in detail about this some time. Not to get some good dictionary files.

Typed up short dialogs from NPRC lesson 3 into my flashcards (which I need to catch up with again).

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 14 of 40
13 May 2008 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Day Twelve

Half an hour or so on the Ruslan workbook including a composition exercise.

Read about Russian perfective / imperfective verbs in NPRC. I've been encountering more perfective verbs now, so I thought I should read up on them. I now understand the difference, but I'll need some more practice with the usage of them.

At university:
1 hour Japanese lecture
2 hour Russian class - practiced reading aloud (as usual).

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 15 of 40
13 May 2008 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Day Thirteen

Not much time today.

Attended a one hour lecture about Japanese literature - rather interesting; mostly about early Japanese literature and the writing system.

Half an hour of study from Genki (my Japanese textbook).

One hour Japanese class.

Picked up some second-hand Japanese books - some in Japanese and some textbooks. The textbooks have some reading exercises which should be useful.

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 6033 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 16 of 40
14 May 2008 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Day Fourteen

Essentially no time to study today, since I'm finishing off an Essay for tomorrow.

I did read some more of A Japanese Reader, though, and I had a one hour Japanese class today.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version