bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 1 of 15
30 April 2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I decided to participate in the total annihilation challenge because I like challenges and they always seem to set me on the right track. ;)

So my plan is to try and immerse myself in these four languages as much as possible. That basically means that I'm going to try and replace all of the English with these languages (which I already started about a month ago) with the exception of school, talking with family, and this one TV series that I have to finish watching.

German: My plan with German is to listen to one episode of German-podcast a day. Also, I am going to tackle FSI German again. I hope that by January 1, 2009 I would have completed the whole course.

Malay: I'm still learning Malay... or trying to at least. :p I'm going to continue lurking around Malay forms and blogs just reading and gathering new vocabulary. Oh! And I'll also continue to translate songs. That's been fun and useful. Another thing that I am going to start doing is reading the news and watching television in Malay.

Spanish: Luckily for me Spanish has the wonderful gift of telenovelas and hilarious talk shows. :D So, with Spanish my plan is to watch a lot of television and to read a lot. I really want to work on my speech and listening comprehension in Spanish this summer.

Japanese: Yeah. I'm adding Japanese to the mix. I figure that I shouldn't let my mixi account just sit there gathering dust. I am also into a lot of Japanese music, dramas, and some anime. I like Japanese entertainment and culture. Why not learn the language? Japanese isn't my main focus though. The other three languages are. I might not even get too far with this language until June because of the move and my high school graduation.

My resources that I will be using can be found here. There are links to other languages as well because I was flirting with those languages and seeing if I wanted to start learning those.

I'll post at least once a week, maybe more, with my progress.

Edited by bluejay390 on 23 May 2008 at 6:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 2 of 15
13 May 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
This is long overdue for an update. ^-^

Day 1 - May 03, 2008

Today I officially started the challenge. I wanted to start on the weekend so that's why I waited until the 3rd.

I actually didn't really do anything today. I blame the rainy weather. It makes me lazy. :p Well, I did manage to stay away from the television. Instead I watched a Japanese drama called "One Liter of Tears" with Spanish subtitles. I was actually able to follow most of the Spanish and understand it. :) So my reading comprehension is alright but my listening comprehension isn't as great. I know because I tried to watch a Spanish telenovela and had some trouble following it. I also listened to a lot of Japanese, Spanish and German music today.

But most of the day was spent shopping and eating with my dad. He needed some new pants, and I wanted some more eye shadow.

Day 2 - May 04, 2008

Japanese: I listened to a lesson of the JapanesePod101 podcast (lesson 8). I wrote down the new vocabulary and then made flashcards of them. After that I reviewed my Japanese flashcards and did a little practice typing.

Spanish: I watched an episode of Family Guy in Spanish today. I understood a few sentences but it still feels like they are speaking too fast for me. I really want to get my listening comprehension up though so I'll keep watching nothing but Spanish television.

Day 3 - May 05, 2008

Malay: I read a news article online and added new vocabulary to Anki.

German: I sat outside with my cat (we both needed to work on our tans since the weather was actually nice today ;) ) and listened to episode 11 of German-podcast. Then I added the new words to Anki and reviewed previous words.

Day 4 - May 06, 2008

German: I went for a nice walk today and listened to episode 12 of German-podcast. When I got home I entered the words into Anki and reviewed my other flashcards.

Japanese: I was also able to listen to one episode of Japanesepod101 while on my walk. Then I came home, entered the new words into Anki and reviewed previous flashcards.

Spanish: Watched some more family guy.

Day 5 - May 07, 2008

Spanish: Watched one hours worth of Spanish television.

German: Listened to podcast episode 13 and added the new vocabulary to Anki.

Japanese: Listened to episode 10 of japanesepod101 and added the new words to Anki

Day 6 - May 08, 2008

Spanish: Downloaded the first intermediate podcast from Notes in Spanish and listened to it on my way to school. I felt like I could understand the main points that they were talking about.

German: Listened to podcast episode 14.

Japanese: Listened to episode 11 of japanesepod101

Day 7 - May 09, 2008

I did nothing, nada, zilch.

Day 8 - May 10, 2008

Well, I spent half of my day downloading music and the other half playing GTA IV.

Day 9 - May 11, 2008

Japanese: Got to lesson 16 today. Added the new words into Anki.

German: Listened to episode 15 while on my walk and added the new words into Anki.

Day 10 - May 12, 2008

No walk today because I had to walk home from school because the bus never showed up. >.< My feet are killing me!

Malay: Clearly I am not spending enough time on Malay. Does anyone know of any podcasts in Malay? It can be about anything. I did find a couple of Malay shows online to watch. So I spent a couple of hours watching Malay shows some with and some without subtitles.

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 3 of 15
15 May 2008 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Day 11 - May 13, 2008

Spanish + Malay: Watched some more television.

Day 12 - May 14, 2008

German: I found this website called Mission Europe. They teach you German, Polish, or French through a story. The story goes that you have to help the main character solve clues and save Germany/Poland/France and it teaches you the language as you go through it. Right now I only did Act 1 Episode 1 but I got a lot of vocabulary from it and it is a lot of fun.

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 4 of 15
22 May 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Days 13 to 21 - May 15 to May 22

Holy crap! I didn't realize how much time had passed since I updated this.

Some good news: I am done with High School! :D Some bad news: this is going to be a busy end of the month. We are moving so I have to help pack up, I have graduation coming up, my grandparents are coming up for my graduation, and I have a few college things happening in June.

Spanish Today I downloaded some e-books and I plan to start reading those in my free time. Aside from that I've spent some time reading forums and watching telenovelas/Spanish tv shows.

Malay Besides listening to music (I just found some Malaysian rock music. Finally! I love my rock music <3) I have not done very much with Malay. I did however find an old notebook with Malay words that I should know but don't. I am going to be going through it and adding words to Anki starting today! And if I don't start this today then you guys can all e-slap me.

German I have gotten to episode 21 of German-podcast.

Japanese I have gotten to episode 19 of japanesepod101.

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 5 of 15
31 May 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I graduated from High School! :D And now that that is over with I can really dive into this challenge. Since I didn’t do anything for the past week I am going to take the day to review my flashcards and everything that I’ve learned. Then, starting tomorrow, I am going to start my original plan.

[German]
-One FSI unit a week (Sunday to Saturday)
-Listen to one episode of German-podcast a day
[Malay]
-Add one page of Malay vocab from my old notebook a day
-Read news articles and blogs in Malay
-Watch movies and television in Malay
[Spanish]
-Watch television in Spanish
-Read a lot in Spanish
-Listen to podcasts in Spanish
-Find people to e-mail/pen pal with in Spanish
-I was thinking about starting a vblog in Spanish as well and have people comment/correct my Spanish
-Be more active on the Spanish forums that I like to lurk around
[Japanese]
-Listen to one episode of japanesepod101 a day
-Watch one episode of "Let's Learn Japanese!" every wed.

So that is the plan. :)

Edited by bluejay390 on 10 June 2008 at 1:15pm

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 6 of 15
02 June 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Days 30 to 31 - May 31 - June 01

German and Malay Reviewed flashcards y nada más.

Spanish Watched a little television, reviewed flashcards, and listened to a couple podcasts of Spanishpod intermediate and notes in Spanish intermediate.

Japanese Watched a couple of episodes of 1リットルの涙 with Spanish subtitles. It´s such a sad drama! I want to read the memoir now.

Edited by bluejay390 on 02 June 2008 at 8:29pm

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 7 of 15
11 June 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Days 32 - 39 - June 02 - June 09

I can't really remember everything that I did. They were little things like watching television and listening to podcasts (mostly in Spanish). Very little done besides flashcards and tv/podcasts.

Day 40 - June 10

German I read a little bit of "Rapunzel" by Gebrüder Grimm.

Spanish I read a short story that I uploaded on Lingq called "Los Suicidas" and added new words to Anki.

Malay I added a lot of words to Anki today. I added a page from my old notebook, and words from a Malay forum that I just joined.

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 8 of 15
14 June 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Days 41 - 43 - June 11 - June 13

Spanish I read a little more of "Los Suicidas" and added the words to Anki. Been watching a little Spanish tele. I found the Harry Potter series in Spanish online. So, I'm going to start reading that.

Malay I read an article and added the new words into Anki. Also, I added a page of words from my old notebook.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version