Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 9 of 37
16 May 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
OK sorry for not updating this lately:

Day 11: Lesson 38. (Time spent: 20 mins)

Day 12: I only had about 15 minutes so I decided to go through lesson 38 again. (Time spent: 15 mins)

Time spent (11hr, 56mins)

As for progress, throught this challenge, I have been getting random German phrases popping up in my head. The flashcards are really helping, there are some words that I find very difficult to memorize but after a few days of SRS, I can remember them. I was listening to some German music and I could understand some of what was being sung. One thing that I have struggled to get from Assimil is knowledge of German grammar as Assimil isn't a gramar course. This is why I introduced some of the Michel Thomas course into my studying and why I am looking to start the FSI basic course.

Edited by shyopstv on 16 May 2008 at 1:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 10 of 37
16 May 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Day 13: Lesson 39 of Assimil and the first unit of FSI Basic German. (Total time 1hr 30 minutes)

I have had a look at LinQ which seems interesting. I will look at it in more depth later as it could prove useful not just for German but also once I get started in French and Russian. Right now, I am not short on resources and I am progressing with what I have.

Total time: 13hr, 26mins

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 11 of 37
18 May 2008 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Day 14:

Lesson 40 of Assimil and the second CD of Michel Thomas. This CD was certainly much harder than the first and I will probably have to repeat it. My responses to the questions tended not to come as naturally as they did up until this point. (Time spent: 2 hours)

Total time: 15hr, 26mins

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 12 of 37
19 May 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Day 15

Lesson 41 of Assimil and the basic senteces and substitution drill from the second unit of FSI. (1 hour 11 mins)

Day 16

Review of the last week of Assimil. I spent longer on this than I usually would to ensure that I have learned everything I could. One of the big thinhs this week's lessons have gone into is the perfect tense which coincidentally is exactly what I have been learning from the Michel Thomas course. (1 hour 20 minutes)

I have spent some time listening to German music. I can understand virtually none of it but that is not surprising given that I also often have difficulty understanding English music. I still haven't reached the point where I am not resorting to translating to English in my head which is a barrier to my listening comprehension.

Total time: 17hr, 56 mins

Edited by shyopstv on 19 May 2008 at 8:43pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 13 of 37
23 May 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
OK, other things prevented me from dong anything for days 17, 18 and 19 but for what I didn't learn about German, I learnt a lot about myself. Anyway, on with the challenge:

Day 20 (24/05/2008)

I listened to the second half of CD2 of Michel Thomas again. I went through the Assimil weekly review again to make sure I am at the same point as I was a few days ago then went on to lesson 43.

Time spent (1 hour, 10 minutes)

I also went out and bought some learning materials for Russian. I have the Living Language Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate course after watching Proffessor Arguelles' review and The New Penguin Russian Course which after flicking through it in the shop. seems similar to the old style grammar-heavy Teach Yourself method.

Total time: 19hr, 6 mins

Edited by shyopstv on 23 May 2008 at 6:42pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 14 of 37
24 May 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Day 21 (24/05/2008

Quite a slack day. I did the minimum of going through the backlog of flashcards that I was supposed to have done over the last few days and then did Assimil lesson 44. (Time spent: 30 minutes)

Total time: 19hr, 36 mins

Edited by shyopstv on 24 May 2008 at 9:35pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 15 of 37
26 May 2008 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Day 22 (25/05/2008)

Assimil lesson 45. I should be starting the active wave of this by the end of the week. I think the first few lessons will be very easy to translate to German but after the first week or so, it could get more difficult. (Time spent: 30 minutes)

Total time: 20hr, 36 mins

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 16 of 37
27 May 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Day 23 (26/05/2008)

Assimil Lesson 46. I also did the first half of the third CD of Michel Thomas. MT has got to the point where the constant references to "handles" and "diving boards" is probably making the grammar more confusing rather than simplifying it but I like the course so I will continue until the end. (Time spent: 1 hour 20 minutes)

Total time: 21hr 56mins

Edited by shyopstv on 27 May 2008 at 8:07am

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version