United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 17 of 37
31 May 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
You may have noticed the lack of updates lately. I have not capitulated just yet, I just have other priorites. I will be continuing the challenge on Wedensday (4th June) by which point, I will also be starting Russian.

Edited by shyopstv on 31 May 2008 at 8:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 18 of 37
05 June 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
OK time to get this started again:

Day 24 (05/06/2008)

German: Went through the flash cards that built up over the last week. I was quite happy at how many I remembered. (Time spent: 10 mins, Total time: 22hr 06mins)

Russian: Used the Princeton Russian course to teach myself the Cryllic alphabet. I can now read the dialogues in my books but it is still quite a slow process especially when there are characters that look like English characters but have a different sound. (Time spent: 43 mins, Total time: 43 mins)

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 19 of 37
07 June 2008 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Day 25 (06/06/2008)

German: Review of the last 3 Assimil lessons. Today I hope to get back to learning new things (Time spent: 43 mins, Total time: 22hr 49mins)

Russian: Had another quick look at the Cryllic alphabet and went through the first lesson of Princeton. (Time spent: 42 mins, Total time: 1hr, 25 mins)

Edited by shyopstv on 07 June 2008 at 5:30am

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 20 of 37
08 June 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
German: Assimil lesson 48 and a review of the last week (Time spent: 1hr 13mins, Total time: 24hr 02mins)

Russian; First half of CD1 of Michel Thomas Method Beginner's Russian and the first part of the first chapter of Living Language Ultimate (Time spent: 1hr 34mins, Total time: 2hr 59mins)

Edited by shyopstv on 09 June 2008 at 4:59pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 21 of 37
10 June 2008 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Day 29 (09/06/2008)

German: Lesson 50 of Assimil in the passive wave and lesson 1 in the active wave. The first lesson is very easy in the active wave but I am expecting that to change after a week or so. Also I read some articles on the website of the German newspaper Bild. The journalistic quality is awful but the language is so simple that I can get the jist of most of the articles (Time spent: 1hr 11mins, Total Time: 25hr 13mins)

Russian: Completed the first chapter of Living Language. I have the general sounds of the Cryllic alphabet sorted now but sometimes, the pronounciation and stress still throws me. (Time spent: 53mins, Total Time: 3hr 52mins)

Biene
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6165 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Dutch, Japanese

Message 22 of 37
10 June 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Hey shyopstv, nice work so far. I'm impressed at what speed you're going through Assimil, keep up the good work.

Quote:
Highlight of the day: Looking through a dictionary to find the gender of the singular form of the German word for "ships", I found that in German, the word meaning "to navigate" and the much more vulgar equivalent of "to urinate" are homonyms.

What do you mean by "urinieren" and "navigieren" are homonyms in German?
Or did you mean "schiffen"? Then you're right, it's actually a homonym for "to navigate", "to urinate" (vulg.)(only boys/men or very tomboyish women will use it), and when it's raining really hard you can also say: "Es schifft." (coll.). Oh, and when "Schiff" (pl. ships) is in the 3. case (Dative) then it would also be "Schiffen", but written with a capital "S". Homonyms are fun, aren't they? ;)
Though I guess "schiffen" as a verb would be mainly used in the sense of taking a p.. or in the sense of heavy rain. The verb "schiffen" in the sense of naviagte I've only encountered as "umschiffen" (=circumnavigate), but that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: reading through the quote again, I realize that you went from "Schiffen" to "schiffen"... ah well. :)

Edited by Biene on 10 June 2008 at 12:14pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 23 of 37
17 June 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
OK, lazyness has taken over and I haven't updated for over a week. I am going to get back on course now.

Day 37 (17/06/2008)

German: Assimil lesson 51 in the passive wave and lesson 2 in the active wave. I also spent some time listening again to some earlier lessons to refresh my memory. I tried listening to Duetsche Welle radio. With my current ability in the language, I was able to recognise enough words to understand what was being spoken about but I am certainly far from understanding it totally. (Time taken: 1hr 20mins, Total time: 26hr 33mins)

Russian: Lesson 2 of Princeton Russian. My main aim is still to be able to read and pronounce the language correctly but some very basic vocabulary is beginning to sink in. (Time taken: 1hr 10mins, Total time: 5hr, 2mins)

Biene: Schiffen was indeed the word I meant. Thanks for the clarification :)

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 24 of 37
18 June 2008 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Day 38 (18/06/2008)

German: Assimil lesson 52 in the passive wave and lesson 3 in the active wave. To get more regular exposure to native material, I have subscribed a podcasts from Deutsche Welle, "Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten"/Slowly spoken news which is a daily show of approximately 10 minutes in length and contains full transcripts. I also have some German films with English subtitles which I plan to watch at some point. (Time taken: 1hr, Total time: 27hr 33mins)

Russian: Listened to the first CD of the Michel Thomas Foundation course and listened to the dialogue of the third Princeton lesson (Time taken: 2hr, Total time: 7hr, 2mins)

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version