Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
owshawng
United States
Joined 6829 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
24 May 2008 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
I'm up for this TAC. I really want to move from speaking like a 2 year old to at least as 3 year old this year. I'm using Chinesepod s my min source and supplementing with Dora the Explorer cartoons. (Dora speaks mandarin and teaches English).

So far this month I've picked up an adapter so I can play Chinesepod when I drive. At least once a week my ipod either freezes or is left at home. To overcome this I've burned 3 cds of Chinesepod lessons and leave them in the car. Listneing in the car adds at least 40 minutes a day to my studies. I'm also watching Dora the Explorer in andarin a few times a week in addition to my uual 30 minutes or so on the computer studying at Chinesepod.

And I have a secret weapon. My mother-in-law is visiting. She only speaks Mandarin and Taiwanese. This gives me lots of additional listening practice and some speaking practice as well. Although she tends to mix Mandarin and Taiwanese together in the same sentence. (When she does that I'm completely lost) She actually understands me now. Last year, she usually answered she doesn't speak English when I tried to talk to her in Mandarin.

I've also just receivd a copy of Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, an Ang Lee film in Mandarin. I haven't watched this yet but it looks interesting.

Edited by owshawng on 24 May 2008 at 6:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

owshawng
United States
Joined 6829 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 2 of 5
17 June 2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I'be burnt several cds of Chinesepod lessons and have been listening to them at least 1.5 hours a day. I play the elementary ones when I'm in the car with my son so he can learn too. When I'm solo I work on the intermediate ones.

I've noticed I get bored with the elementary ones after going through each lesson 3 or 4 times. I think that's a good sign since I'm also able to digest the elementary lessons a lot faster then I used to. The intermediate lessons are still a reach and I really haven't conquered one yet.

I also try out my new phrases and sentences on my mother-in-law. I mst be getting a lot better since she almost always understands me.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7261 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 5
17 June 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
That's great news. It looks like you have improved a lot in a month. It's great that you dedicate so much time to the language - you're bound to get even better. Good luck!

owshawng
United States
Joined 6829 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 4 of 5
18 June 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks victor.

I've been watching a few tv series this week and I've noticed i can now understand about 30% of what's being said. When I watched the same shows over a year ago, I could catch 5 to 10%. Definetely making progress.

My goal this year is to be working on intermediate level at Chinesepod. I'm getting a bit closer everyday. I figure if I study for an hour a day and watch more mandarin tv, I'll eventually reach that level. Don't know when that will happen and I don't want to pressure myslf by setting time frames. If it doesn;t happen till next year that's fine with me. It's the journey that is important and fun right now.

owshawng
United States
Joined 6829 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 5 of 5
28 June 2008 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I've decided for my listening/speaking development I'm going to focus on the intermediate lessons at Chinesepod.com. I have been listening to Elementary lessons about 75% of the time, and Intermediate about 25%. I'm going to reverse that ratio and spend most of my listening and shadowing time on the intermediate level. I'll still do some reviewing of Elementary lessons and keep listening to the new lessons for the series I like. I have done nothing in months for learning to read Chinese. I'd like to work that into my study schedule too. Maybe 15 minutes a so a day going over the newbie and elementary lessons I'm already proficient with. I need to plan ahead since the Upper Intermediate and Advanced transcripts are mostly or entirely in Chinese. If I wait to start learning to read until I'm Upper Intermesiate, I think my progress will slow dramatically since I'll have to go back and learn how to read in order to use the exercises available on the web site.

I'm really enjoying using chinesepod. I've been rewatching Full House, a Korean TV series dubbed in Mandarin. It is so satisfying understanding a lot more then when I watched it last year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version