Groupie
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, FrenchB2
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, Indonesian, Persian

Message 1 of 11
14 June 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
I have been given a chance to go to Germany for a semestral exchange programme. However, the German teacher that used to teach me highly overrated my qualities and attributed the "flawless fluency level" to me and so I will be most probably expected to speak the language very accurately :) I would normally get over embarrassing situations of misunderstandings and lack of words making me look like a monkey in the first days, but the problem is that I am going to start working in a hospital from the very first days as a "Klinikumjahr" student, ie, having a wide spectrum of real-doctors´ responsabilities and competences. It is more than evident, that I will need a very good knowledge of German arriving to Bonn and I decided to do as much as possible to fulfil this goal. My plan is to start with three days of lesson after lesson of Pimsleur 1,2,3,4 just to untwist my tongue a bit, to go through Assimil L´Allemand sans peine and FSI Basic course 1 and 2, Assimil Deutsch in der Praxis after the first Assimil, Deutsch für Mediziner to get the medical vocabulary in the end and probably start with Mittelstufe Deutsch and/or Auf neuen Wegen. I have about three months to do this, even though not at all free just for learning the sweet language of order, so I hope at least some patients will understand me in October :)

1 person has voted this message useful

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7261 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 11
14 June 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
That's amazing. Please do let us know how it goes.

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 4 of 11
16 June 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Senmurw, Victor-thanks for replying to my new goal in the logbook..:) It is appreciated.
Yes, I am a medical student. I study the Charles Univeristy in Prague and as our system is different from the american one, I have 10 semesters under my belt already and last two to go. As almost everywhere in Europe it is very hard if not impossible to face real doctors´ responsabilities before completing the degree and thus all the stress we have comes much more from an insane studyload we have to face than from a potentially mistaken decision, that could have a negative effect on the patient, because we don t come to contact with patients that often and if, then always supervised. On the other hand, the Klinikumjahr in Germany is supposed to be much more practical and definetly very beneficial, as everything in Germany is very systemathic and has its method, so I am looking forward to it very much.

The only problem seems to be my poor German, but I did not mention, that I was learning German for 6 years at school, so although the quality was mediocre, some bits must have stuck and it won t be by no means learning from the scratch, as I understand a lot of even advanced spoken and written German and I rather need to boost my active skills (while improving the passives as well).

Unfortunately I do not have all the three months, as I have to learn for my exams next three weeks followed by one month internship in a czech hospital and a trip to Southeastern Asia for 6 weeks..that leaves me about one month and half of relatively spare time, which doesn t sound very optimistic. The truth is, though, that even little time when used with efficiency, can lead to great achievements, so I ll try to give my best shot :) I am going to start with German July 2..I will keep my logbook updated. :)

Edited by Deniz on 16 June 2008 at 8:54am

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 5 of 11
16 June 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
And even though a month of immersion before the start would be a great idea, I cannot do that as I have already planned some travelling that cannot be changed anymore.

Deniz
Bilingual Heptaglot
Groupie
Joined 6762 days ago

94 posts - 97 votes 

Message 7 of 11
21 June 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
No problem, Senmurw..I ll keep it updated.. My level of German is a bit hard to tell, but overall probably much lower than B2, although my listening comprehension may be there. So you are going to take an online course? It sounds interesting. I believe in the future of e-lectures aso. It is an unbelievable wasting of money to pay somebody to re-read the course book, as unfortunately often happens in our universities.

Edited by Deniz on 21 June 2008 at 1:54pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version