vinrute
United Kingdom
Joined 5952 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 1 of 4
18 June 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting this journal because I work better when I have deadlines and am held accountable for the amount of studying I get done. I'm not working at the moment so I feel as though I should be making more progress than I have been, given the amount of free time I have each day. Any comments (or mild criticisms) you might have on how I could put my time to better use would help much more than they would ever hurt, so I'd love to hear them.

I've studied Hungarian on and off for the past few years because my dad's side of the family is Hungarian. I decided while recently in Hungary to just go all the way with it, so I picked up a few books and a lot of enthusiasm. I began my committed Hungarian studies last week by doing the following:

Friday, June 13th
Halló, itt Magyarország- Lesson 1, and created and learned flashcards from the lesson

Saturday, June 14th
Halló, itt Magyarország- Lesson 2, and created and looked over flashcards

Sunday, June 15th
Let's Learn Hungarian! Podcast- Lesson 1

Monday, June 16th
Let's Learn Hungarian! Podcast- Lessons 2 and 3

I was familiar with a lot of the words covered in the first 2 workbook lessons, though I still felt as though I got a lot out of writing out the questions and answers in a notebook. The first three lessons of the podcast were definitely too easy for me, though. I'm afraid I'm a bit guilty of listening to them in order to postpone working on the more challenging stuff.

On Tuesday my husband found out that as part of his job he'll be interacting with the company branch in France quite a bit, so he decided to re-learn the French he'd learned in high school. Since French people and France will be more relevant to my life because of his job, as well, I started studying it from scratch. One of the reasons why I wanted to is because my husband's been using the Michel Thomas cd's and is a huge fan of his teaching method. Since Michel Thomas doesn't have any cd's for Hungarian, I thought French would be the perfect opportunity to try them out.

Tuesday,
Michel Thomas CD1

Wednesday
Michel Thomas CD 2 and half of 3

So far I love the Michel Thomas cds. I woke up this morning so excited to listen to more of them, and listening to the cd's is the first thing I'll do when I finish this post. If they're available for whatever language you're learning, definitely try them out.

Hungarian is being neglected a bit because Michel is so much fun, but at the moment as long as I spend an hour or two on languages a day I don't know if it matters which language it is.
1 person has voted this message useful

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 6049 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 4
18 June 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Don't be discouraged because of fewer available resources for Hungarian... try Assimil, it's pretty good for this language.

Good luck and I wish you good progress!

vinrute
United Kingdom
Joined 5952 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 4
22 June 2008 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Hey, thanks for the encouragement. :) I've heard good things about Assimil, but since I've already bought a few other methods for Hungarian I think I'll stick with those. If I ever hit a wall though, or have a bit of extra money one month, I'll go for the Assimil. ;)

I've started the first lesson of Hungarian for Foreigners and I really wasn't too keen on the lesson structure compared to Halló, itt Magyarország. I think HFF crams a lot more into one chapter because they use English to teach Hungarian, whereas HIM only uses Hungarian, so they go at a slower place and represent more things visually, plus I have fun translating the instructions before doing the exercises. I know both are useful so I'm still continuing with both, but I do have a bit of a preference...

On the French side, Michel Thomas is still so amazing. After approximately 5 days and 5 hours of his cds, I was able to say "Will you call me later and can you tell me at what time it is going to be ready because I must have it today if it is possible." His cds are so effortless and fun and after each one finishes I'm amazed at how quickly it went and how much I've retained. My husband and I watched Amélie a few nights ago with English subtitles, and I was a long way from understanding French, but at least I can speak it in bits. At the moment I'm happy just using Michel Thomas, though I might introduce other materials once I finish the beginners' course

So, the past few days have looked something like this:

Wednesday, June 18th
Michel Thomas - CD 2 and CD 3

Thursday, June 19th
Hungarian for Foreigners - First half of 1st chapter

Friday, June 20th
Michel Thomas - First half of CD 4

Saturday, June 21st
Michel Thomas - Second half of CD 4 and all of CD 5

vinrute
United Kingdom
Joined 5952 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 4
26 June 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I hit the first small bump. On Sunday and Monday (the 10th and 11th days since I began seriously studying languages again) I felt very restless. On Sunday I listened to almost half of a Michel Thomas cd, but I didn't feel like it was sinking in. On Monday I spent about 15 to 20 minutes half-heartedly looking at some resources, but still just couldn't concentrate. Then on Tuesday I was back to normal and since then have been feeling fine.

Obviously there will be some days when you don't feel on top form. It's important to study consistently, but how should you study on days like that? Is it better to ignore the new material and leisurely listen to music or watch tv in that language instead, even if your comprehension is still very low?

Anyway, so because of those two not-so-productive days, this is how my log has gone:

Sunday, June 22nd
Michel Thomas - First half of CD 6

Monday, June 23rd
Nothing of note

Tuesday, June 24th
Michel Thomas - First half of CD 6

Wednesday, June 25th
Michel Thomas- Second half of CD 6

Thursday, June 26th
Michel Thomas- CD 7 and half of CD 8

On a side note, my husband just got the Michel Thomas Mandarin course and is experimenting with it... I'm happy to stick to French and Hungarian at the moment, but I don't know how long my resolve will hold out.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version