Triglot
Spain
Joined 6303 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
02 July 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Well, I had my first intercambio (as their called in Spanish) in french... it was significant in that it was the first time my french was actually better than someone elses English, which was kind of exciting... the last time I was in france, I don't think I met a single young person who spoke worse English that my french... so I've at least improved a little. It was really evident, having not actually had a conversation in french in 5 months (and those really weren't much in the way of conversations) that it took some time for me to pull words into more prominent spaces in my head for easy retrieval while speaking. However by the end of a 40min-1hr talk I was about 10 times more comfortable and was pausing considerably less to think... enough so that I had to make a point of switching clearly back into Spanish for fear of developing some kind of messed up spançais thing. All in all I'm satisfied with how it went... I need to revise my knowledge of some irregular verb forms and various other things but it was good all in all... my listening, which I had feared would be horrible was okay enough to follow what my intercambio partner was saying (of course they were simplifying for me somewhat... obviously with more repetitions of things than in Spanish, but speaking was clearly much more the weak link in such a conversation based environment than listening was.
1 person has voted this message useful

jazz4life89
Diglot
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 3
02 July 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Excellent! Practice makes perfect (or not hideous) Im interested in doing an intercambio but it just hasnt panned out. When I meet someone (on mylanguage exchange), they only want to "instant message" and/or they don't have a microphone (which is crazy b/c their profile always says they want to do a "voice chat")

Anywas, what site do you use to find people for "intercambios"?

and

You and your partner were chatting in Spanish and French? Cool

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6303 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
03 July 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Well, this particular intercambio was just kind of run into on the street with mutual friends while there was a huge party in the city because spain won the european football/soccer championship... (was face to face) although here in spain, people use a website called loquo a lot for this purpose... I haven't done a language exchange over the net, although I keep thinking about it. Yeah, I always find it interesting when the language common denominator between two foreigners ends up being Spanish... in europe at least, its kind of like the curse of English that it always ends up being the language people fall back into talking...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version