Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6833 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 1 of 7
15 July 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm planning a holiday to Greece later this year (September/October) so I thought I'd learn some elementary Greek. I promised my partner I wouldn't succumb to any more 'wanderlust' but I've convinced him that it would be handy for one of us to be able to ask for directions if we get lost. ;)

The resources I have at my disposal are :

- BBC Greek Language and People course book
- Pimsleur Greek I
- Teach Yourself Beginner's Greek
- Lonely Planet Greek phrasebook

I also know of a few websites that offer free lessons but I commute to work everyday so reading a book or listening to an audio lesson is much better use of my time.

So far, I've learnt the Greek alphabet and pronunciation (though I still get a bit confused with double vowels) and have memorised some basic phrases and words (eg. kalimera, nai/oxi, signomi). The next step is to learn some useful sentence structures and work on my Greek listening comprehension and speaking skills.

I wouldn't mind learning how to type in Greek as the romanisations I used above look a bit sloppy (it would also do wonders for my Greek spelling). If anyone can give me a quick guide on how to type in Greek, it would be much appreciated. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 6091 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 2 of 7
16 July 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Oh wow, I'd like to hear your progress.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7131 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 3 of 7
16 July 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
How to type in Greek.

Good luck!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6646 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 7
16 July 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I have installed the Greek alphabet, but in the rare case that I write in Greek on this forum I use either Word (symbols) or this program.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6833 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 5 of 7
16 July 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Ευχαριστό πολύ. :)

On the subject of typing (or, more specifically, spelling), are there any rules regarding Greek spelling? I know there are several ways to write the 'ee' sound but I always wonder how I should know which spelling is the correct one. It seems that the only sure way to learn a word's spelling is to memorise how it's spelt.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6646 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
16 July 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I try to remember the spelling as part of the pronunciation even though the sounds may be identical - it may sound like a selfcontradiction, but I physically see the Greek wowels in front of me as I'm writing them, and when I think in Greek I hear one 'i'-sound as a true 'i' (as in almost any other language apart from English), another slightly y'ish, a third ever so slightly 'flat e'ish an so forth. But they all are supposed to sound like alike. I hope this doesn't sound like total gibberish...

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6833 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 7 of 7
19 July 2008 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I try to remember the spelling as part of the pronunciation even though the sounds may be identical - it may sound like a selfcontradiction, but I physically see the Greek wowels in front of me as I'm writing them, and when I think in Greek I hear one 'i'-sound as a true 'i' (as in almost any other language apart from English), another slightly y'ish, a third ever so slightly 'flat e'ish an so forth. But they all are supposed to sound like alike. I hope this doesn't sound like total gibberish...

Hmmm...I think it's probably best if I just memorise the spelling of each word. Thanks for the advice anyway. :)

I haven't made much progress since I started this thread. I've worked through the first 2 chapters of 'Greek People & Language' but will need to read through it again as I'm not sure how much of it I remember.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version