Triglot
United States
Joined 6395 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Catalan, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Latin, Swahili, Italian

Message 1 of 18
14 April 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I've always wanted to learn Latin but I said I wouldn't until I had an "epiphany moment" in Spanish - well that's happened so I now feel motivated to learn Latin. I've decided to do 30 minutes of learning with unlimited time for revision. I just don't think I can even scrape the surface of Latin without lots of revision.

My main source is a text called "New Latin Grammar" along with a few supplementary sources. I also have quite a few friends who studied Latin in school. I won't be concentrating on pronunciation but trying to sprinkle it throughout.

Today I went over declension of nouns, adjectives, and pronouns - WOW! So much information. Tomorrow I'll start the conjugation of verbs.

I have no specific goals for where I'd like to be after 6 weeks but I do plan to continue latn long after. I will also be keeping up with my other languages (let's say I have a lot of free time). I currently study Spanish, French, Italian, Catalan, Swahili, Russian, Swedish, and Finnish.

Edited by Evanstar on 15 April 2007 at 12:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6525 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 18
15 April 2007 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
So what are your methods? It'll be interesting to see if you find them effective or not. I'm particularly interested since I'm planning to do Latin after I'm at basic fluency with Mandarin. So I'm curious as to which methods are the most effective.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 18
15 April 2007 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
You are just using a grammar? Or is that a language course disguised as a grammar?

Anyway, check out this Latin course that's also quite grammar-intensive as you progress but also teaches a decent amount of vocabulary.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6525 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 18
15 April 2007 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Oh, and I don't know if you already have this one, but textkit.com/ is probably the best Latin resource ever.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 18
15 April 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
So do most people learn Latin to read it not speak it?I know Latin is considered a dead language, but don't they have courses that go over Latin speaking not just reading?

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6387 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 6 of 18
15 April 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I think in Finland you can get the news in Latin, but that's about it.

What was your epiphany moment like? I have yet to have one.

Evanstar
Triglot
United States
Joined 6395 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Catalan, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Latin, Swahili, Italian

Message 7 of 18
15 April 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Day 2:

Today I learned the conjugation for sum (to be) and regular verbs of the first conjugation (-āre) in all tenses of the indicative. It went very smoothly - I think because I do have active and passive knowledge of so many romance languages that verb conjugation was nothing surprises me.

Ari: I'm not sure yet, I think I'm going to hit grammar really hard for the first week with just pure grammar, because that's how I work best, and ease myself into other areas like pronunciation

Sprachpofi: I'm using a combination of sources. I'm not a huge fan of courses, I much prefer grammar but because of latin's important vocabulary I'm trying to combine methods and see which I prefer in the end (I'm a future linguistics major so I'm good with technical language and such).

LilleOSC: I myself plan on learning how to use latin as I would any language - but I also know that while writing and speaking it may be cool, the most usage I'll get out of it will probably be reading it.

burntgorilla: My epiphany moment was when I was watching a tv station in Spanish, and suddenly I came to this cool realization for the very first time ever I was understanding everything (except for some cooking vocabulary) - but not how I usually do by quickly translating in my head, but that I was processing the information as someeone who speaks Spanishh. It was the first time I could understand a long segment without translating in my head and also.

I'm enjoying latin so far. I love complex verbal systems (which is why I love romance languages and despise Germanic ones ;)). With Spanish being my most advanced foreign language...I think the irregularities in latin will be the hardest for me, as Spanish is very very regular though I already feel pretty comfortable with cases. :)

Edited by Evanstar on 15 April 2007 at 10:42pm

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 18
16 April 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Evanstar are you using any audio resources to work on your Latin pronunciation?

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version